Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyearout_gw

Newbie Photo Update... And Questions as usual... ;o)

JYearout
12 years ago

Well I am nearly 2 months into my first gardening attempt. It has been thrilling, frustrating, time occupying, and mentally relaxing. All and all I am loving it. I am days away from harvesting my first fruit (Cucumber) YAY! :o) and have had to pull a few plants because of poor growth BOO! ;o(

Here are some of my updates with each picture I have a few questions/issues with the plants in that particular picture. I am gardening organic so any tips or techniques please keep that in mind. Thank you!

{{gwi:956560}}
Here is my 1x7 raised bed. In it there are 2 plots of Snap Peas, a Collard, a Cantaloup, another Collard and 2 plots of Green Beans...

Question: Peas and Beans are really struggling here. I have done 2 plantings and over half fail to complete germination. Is this a result of poor "all day" sunlight, soil, watering?

---------------------------------------------------------

{{gwi:956563}}
Here is my large 2 Salad & Veggie Garden Beds. Below I have snapped a picture of each of them individually and my questions. ;o)

{{gwi:956566}}
In here you will find from Top R to L then working down... Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and a Fresh Crookneck Squash replanted. Turnips, Peppers (Still not growing), Okra, Eggplant. NZ Spinach in 2 plots, Traditional Spinach in 2 plots. Carrots, Green Onion & Garlic (co-planted) and Purple Carrots.

Things in this bed are growing fairly well. My only real question is how do I handle the invasion of these little green caterpillars on my Cucumber plants? They as you can see are eating the leaves like crazy and I had to cut and destroy 3 baby Cuckes today because they had setup a little home in them. GRR!!!

{{gwi:956569}}
In here you will find from Top R to L then working down... Zucchini, Cucumbers, and Tomatoes. Eggplant (original didn't germinate), Okra, Peppers (still not growing) and Turnips. Green Salad Bowl Lettuce, Strawberry Spinach in 2 plots, and Eva's Burgundy Lettuce. Eva's, Arugula, Radishs, and salad bowl.

Things in this bed are growing fairly well except for my Cucumbers!!! I don't know if it is because these were invaded by those damned green caterpillars worse or what. So again, my question is how do I handle the invasion of these little green caterpillars on my Cucumber plants? This plant I have cut off most of the worst leaves 90%+ brown and destroyed, it has not set forth any fruit even little ones to die ;o( Another question in this bed is with Strawberry Spinach. Its just struggling along there any way to give it a little boost?

Both of the last 2 beds have peppers (Yellow & Red Bell) that were transplanted and didn't make it and so I have recently planted seed. Any tips?

{{gwi:956571}}
This is my strawberry bed. In it you have 5 plots of Strawberries, 2 White Rabbit Tomatoes (Top Middle), 2 plots Arugula (Bottom Right), Scallop Squash seedling replanted (Bottom Left). The 2 other watered spots are Jalapeno Peppers.

Super impressed by the Strawberry Plugs, they looked like hell when I first planted them and quickly grew new leaves and are starting to expand.

Questions: Squash. My last 2 died off a pretty hard death. I think it may have been a result of either over watering or the simple heat and humidity in the air. Anything tips for growing beautiful squash?

{{gwi:956573}}
Finally my herb and flower garden. Johnny Jump ups and pansies are the primary sprouts we are seeing. There is also some Thyme, Oregano, Cilantro, Sweet & Cinnamon Basil, Garlic Chives and Parsley. Everything is doing well except the Spearmint still no germination there.

No questions on this Plot! Thanks to all for giving me a place to share and find answers to the questions I face in this new gardening venture!

All comments, tips, techniques, praises and criticisms are welcome. Thank you again!

Comments (4)