Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Ginger Plant Questions...

puglvr1
9 years ago

I received this ginger plant a few months ago and was hoping someone can tell me if you know the name or variety of it...I'm trying to find out if it blooms and see what the bloom and color might looks like...

Thanks for any help...

Comments (27)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of the newer leaves and stems...

• irma_stpete_10a
    9 years ago

Carol, how old is the spiral ginger? Mine is potted, a cutting from 5 (?) years ago, in light shade with a little a.m. sun, not allowed to dry out, probably a little time release fertilizer, grows and looks great this month, but it has never bloomed. What am I doing wrong?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Carol!! Yours looks very similar to mine :o)

Funny...you should say " it is rather um... vigorous (to put it mildly)" ...I received this plant...it was a single stem 5" tall plant...I planted it in the ground and one of the stalk is now (a very curving growth) on that particular stalk...now has 5 brand new "babies" coming out of the ground!! and I've only had it since July!!

Is this something I can dig up easily and or trim the stalks very short to keep it from taking over....I want to know now while its still manageable to see if I should dig it up and put it in a pot,lol...I don't want to have it 5 ft. wide and 6ft tall,lol...

Was wondering if I cut it short (whack it) would new leaves grow from the sides like Ti Plants?

Thanks so much!!!

• wallisadi
    9 years ago

Brought some of that to Silvia's party, over six foot tall here. Hummers like it..........

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

I like it. It does grow well but I never had a problem keeping it manageable in zone 10. There is a dwarf form too. Now I have the variegated one :)

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    What is your secret to keeping it in bounds?? lol my original started in the shadehouse and now have 6 locations in my yard .lol
    To me , there are MUCH better types of gingers both in flower and habit. The variagated spirals are fantastic though the flower isn't very impressive. say compared to a wax ginger.??
    I grow most of my gingers in pots except for the evergreens as the dormant period is a bummer lol
    Have a beautiful stand of siamese tulips which are looking like they were hit with a blow torch lol
    Good luck with yours !! gary

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the all the info...I'm afraid of it multiplying like Gary's lol...I'll give it till next Spring and "if" its grown out of control by then I might dig it up and put it pots where I can keep them in check...

Does anyone know if you can prune these like Ti plants...cut it down to say " 4" and it will resprout from the sides?

The color of the blooms are pretty on your Carol!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Mine is in-ground & the only thing that holds it back is concrete. It grows well over 6 feet tall, has filled the bed to bursting & any piece of cut stem will sprout if it comes in contact w/ soil, seemingly.

However, I understand there are different cultivars - some may not be so vigorous.

FWIW, photo is from the web - too lazy to take a pic = J

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Both this ginger and the related Costus have been problems for me for over 10 years. Every time I think I've got it eradicated from the garden, it pops up again. Like Carol posted, only concrete holds it back. My suggestion is to get it out of the ground now and put it in a clay pot.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your insights and sharing your own experience with this plant...I think I'll go ahead and dig it out and pot it up now...

Do I need to cover this or protect it from frost/freeze?

Okay, all potted up!! I feel better,lol...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 14:15

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Mine freezes back in zone 9a (jax area) and returns strong in the late spring. I have the white crepe ginger/spiral ginger though (Costus speciosus). I have it in the ground. I might dig one up and put it in the greenhouse this winter and see what happens.
    ~SJN

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Its been about 6 months and I see a few blooms...:o) very Cool blooms!

• lac1361
    8 years ago

The name is Costus Barbatus.

Steve

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Steve!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    8 years ago

SJN, I also have Variegated Crepe Ginger (Costus speciosus). I bought it in October 2013 during my trip to Tampa. It lives in a very large clay pot underneath my Southern magnolia. I did not bring it in this year - left it out, even on the 26-degree night - but I think I wrapped it in a blanket. It is slowly leafing out all the way up last year's spirals!

Carol

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Was looking at my variegated crepe ginger and thinking about planting it in the ground. A little research brought me back to this thread... and the answer to my question: nope! She will stay in her pot. :)

Carol

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

That's beautiful, Carol! I used to have such lovely gingers at my old house. I miss them, and my broms, but I don't miss mowing that 1/4 acre yard.

• irma_stpete_10a
    5 years ago

4 years later... and my spiraling ginger, growing in the same mostly shade, well watered, against a wall, comes back every summer looking beautiful... EXCEPT no flowers. What should I do... start some to grow in more light?

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Mine grew under a live oak tree. I never raked the leaves from around it and tossed a few handfuls of 5-5-5 on it every now and then, and it bloomed like mad. I dug it up and took it to Venice when I lived there for a while, and it bloomed in that pot. Mine was a Costus barbatus.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My crepe ginger has never bloomed. It freezes back every winter and comes back beautifully every spring and summer. However, if it is like variegated shell ginger, it blooms on prior year growth... which is why even though we have tons of shell ginger in Jacksonville, you never see one in bloom... except sometimes close to the beach and the St. Johns River where they didn't have a hard freeze.

DG, mine also lives under a tree - the magnolia, in my case. It seems to be a very happy place for a ginger.

Carol

5 years ago

What is the best time of year to divide crepe ginger? I would like to split mine into a second pot. Should I do it now, or will I wreck it for the rest of the year?

Thanks,

Carol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Did you ever divide yours? I divided mine and either both parts died or something ate them..they never returned lol.

5 years ago

Hi, SJN,

No, I never did divide. It has lived in that same small pot for five years. I thought I had lost it last year after the really long, hard freeze but it showed up in late spring. I have had very, very small pieces left in the ground suddenly appear years later - I guess after they have generated/mustered enough energy. I wonder if yours will eventually reappear?

Carol

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

I'm praying that the pine cone ginger along my wall doesn't come back up where we laid the small seating area. Some of the tubers had grown up under the wall. We tried to get as many as possible, and pulled out huge chunks, but you never know what's lurking down there. It's getting RoundUpped if it comes back up. I have enough of it now!

5 years ago

Oh that stuff is ruthless. I agree! I have been fighting that along with variegated shell ginger that I planted under the maple trees.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

The yellow part (flower) is edible.