Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surinam-Cherry

Posted by fluffybonbon 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 11:07

I love this shrub , does any one plant this ?
I would like to trade , please let me know .
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surinam-Cherry

I used to eat real ripe Surinam cherries when I was a kid. Not as fond of them now, maybe 'cause it's hard to find them now.

They do make a nice hedge, but I hear you have to really keep a check on them or they can get out of hand like ficus does.

Think I read somewhere that they're considered an 'invasive' species. So what else is new, eh?

Happy Gardening,

Sheri

o

If I was still at my old house, I could give you tons of seeds. I had a large one. They are so easy to grow. I'm sure someone here will have seeds or seedlings sometime. This isn't a good time of year for the seeds, but seedlings may be coming up.

o

Remind me when it is the season and I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE. I just cannot remember when they fruit/Spring I think. It is however considered an invasive species in South Florida and disrecommended in Central Fl. (see info in link). I think it would be ok in the Northern part pf the state. I am personally waiting for my new hedge to get established before I cut my lone remaining tree down. Unfortunately my neighbor has it as a hedge so I will likely have further trees in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surinam Cherry is Invasive in South Florida

o

I have one, too. But like the PP - I can't share at the moment. Wait until there are seeds around. I'll send some your way!
If you hit the Rare fruit tree sales you can get a small one for less than $10. Otherwise smaller nurseries in the area have them here and there.
Barbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here