Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Zackey and other South Georgia Residents

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 11:18

In a few weeks, I will be making a day trip from Jacksonville to Okefenokee/Stephen C. Foster State Park. Are there any good nurseries along the way? I will be headed west on I-10 and then headed north on back roads, through Macclenny, all the way up to the swamp. I think I will be going past your neck of the woods. Any good places you would recommend?

Cora, you may be out that way too, now. I think your farm is in that area. Would love to know where you like to shop, too.

Thanks!!!!
Carol in Jacksonville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Zackey and other South Georgia Residents

I can't think of any in Georgia. There are two in Glen St. Mary if you go past the second Macclenny exit. Glen St. Mary will be the next one. They are called Glen Nursery and Southern Nursery. I think the Glen one sells citrus. No idea what else they sell. I have never been to either one. Mostly just pine trees between my house and the swamp. Not sure about the area around Stephen Foster. Sorry!

o

Thanks, Zackey! I hope to check them out. You are right, there is nothing at all around the Okefenokee Swamp except for more swamp. :)

Carol

o

Carol, I have to admit we've not planted a thing on our Baker Co. property because we're not there to care for it. I do hope to transplant some young trees out there next spring that I started from cuttings a couple of years ago.
As for plants, Maclenny Ace hardware has an impressive nursery.

o

Thanks, Cora! I just added it to my itinerary. I love the Hagan Aces in Jacksonville, so I'm so glad you let me know about this one.

Carol

o

Hi!I am in the swamp area and no there is no nurseries that I frequent down this way..I rely on the internet for plant shoping or even going over in Fl.Different zone I guess as Lowes have different plants there than ours do..

o

Thanks again for everyone's help. Ok, here's what's on my list. If I should add a nursery or remove one of these, please let me know. Also, if you know which of the two G&K Nursery locations I should go to, please let me know. Thanks again!:

Glen St Mary Nursery
7703 Glen Nursery Rd, Glen St Mary, FL ‎
(904) 259-6256
gsmnurseries.com

Donnie's Nursery Inc‎
5464 George Hodges Road
Macclenny, FL 32063
(904) 259-2630

G&K Nursery
Two locations and two websites:
http://www.lakecitygardencenter.com/
http://www.gnknursery.com/

Lora's Lovely Plants
11206 S US HWY 441 Lake City,Fl 32025
http://www.loraslovelyplants.com/

Hagan Ace Hardware
6567 U.S. 90
Glen St Mary
(904) 259-3451

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here