Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra question - veggie newbie

Posted by junglegal 10a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 11:56

Hi all,

I am growing a variety of okra that I love called Stewart zee best. I know okra is a heat lover. Will the shrub go dormant or die during the winter? I just planted it in the ground because it quickly outgrew the 10 gal pot it was in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra question - veggie newbie

Depends on our weather, but Yes. Hope you have plenty seed left for next year.

o

Wally,
Thank you so much for replying but it depends on the weather if it lives or dies? Sorry, I'm confused with the answer.
Can I cut it back & will it live multiple growing seasons?
I do not get very cold here long term in St. Pete.

I have no other seed. I was hoping I could collect it from some of the fruits as it's still producing a bounty for me weekly. Is the seed not viable? Forgive all my questions. I grow tropicals and only recently got bitten with the edibles bug. Excuse the pun LOL

JG

o

FWIW, I think we've plenty of warm weather left - @ least until December. As long as it's getting enough sun, I think it'll be OK. I notice Wally's in TX - not the same as here - seed starting dates for Central & S FL are basically Mar.-Sep (see table 3 in link below)....

I have a couple of varieties of okra just starting to produce right now - & they're doing MUCH better than the crop I tried planting earlier in the year.

I've never heard of Stewart - & you say it's a shrub?

Here is a link that might be useful: FL veggie gardening guide @ UF/IFAS

o
RE: Okra name

OK - looked it up & the proper name is "Stewart's Zeebest", according to another thread on Gardenweb's vegetable forum. Lots of branches, so I guess 'shrub' would describe it.

Sounds like a great variety to try = )

o

Thank you Carol :)

Will the original plant die or will it live for another season if we have a mild winter?

It's sooo tasty and I should have plenty of seed should anyone want to try next year! I'd be willing to swap some seed for other tried and true FL winter veggies.

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 18:08

Brenda, it will not die and it will continue to produce although somewhat slower from November until February IF you don't get any frost, which I suspect you don't since we're so close to each other...I can grow it year around and it actually looks better in the fall when things cool down. We're so hot here in the middle of the summer that in a container it gets stressed easily and looks rather ratty even though production is good.

If you look at the UF planting guide for South Zones you'll see they actually recommend planting it NOW! :-)

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here