Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell Pepper Plant Leaves Shriveling...Why?

Posted by tamrootbeer Z9CocoaCentFl (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 12:45

My Bell Peppers (most, not all)...the leaves begin to get shrivelly...near the top of the plants mostly. They are beautiful green color (even the ugly leaves) and are getting flowers. I have had this happen in the past and the plants have produced peppers, but they sure are ugly. Plants are about 12-18 inches tall.

So...what is it that may be making my pepper plant leaves curl and shrivel...

I am not having this issue with my other peppers (bird, fish, jalapeno, etc).
Tam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell Pepper Plant Leaves Shriveling...Why?

Have you been using insecticides or fungicides? If you have been, that may be too harsh on your plant. Did you have pest problems with them? If you haven't been using insecticides, and you have this problem, try making a non-toxic insecticide.

To make a non-toxic insecticide, shave 1 inch of Fels-Naptha laundry soap into 1 quart of heated water and stir until dissolved. This will be your insecticidal soap concentrate. Put the soap solution into a labeled jar.

To use the soap spray, put 1 teaspoon of concentrate per quart into a sprayer. This insecticidal soap is a contact poison, so spray it directly onto the insects you want to eliminate from your home, garden or orchard. For additional killing power, add one-quarter cup of rubbing alcohol per quart.

Fels-Naptha can be found at most grocery stores.

Or, you may need to make/buy a fungicide. Search up "Homemade Non-Toxic Fungicide" on Google.com, and see what you get.

o

No bugs at all that I can see. I fertilize with GardenTone....all natural. I will try the Fels Naptha soap.

Love Fels!!!! We use it for lots of stuff...it can take out just about any stain in the laundry. When the kids have moved into their own place, one thing we have gotten them for their new place is a bar of Fels!

o

Thrips can cause leaves to deform and crinkle. They are very small and difficult to see. If thrips are your problem, you should be able to locate them on the undersides of leaves with a magnifying glass.

o

I am in South Florida, my problem is leaf drop. I have 6 different plants spread about the yard (planted mid sept) and they are dropping leaves like crazy. Over the last 2 weeks, we must of had 5-8 inches of rain AT LEAST. Most rain I have seen in a long time. So, I am crossing my fingers hoping the rain is my problem?!.

o

Make sure you are not fertilizing the plants too much, tamrootbeer. If you are, the leaves will turn brown, and the whole plant could possible die. To reverse the effects, simply over water the plants to drain out the excess nitrogen.

o

Yes, constantly wet soil will cause a lot of leaf drop.
Got it going on here now too.
Wet might be the cause of the tiny shriveled new leaf growth too, not sure. Also got it. Hope it's not a virus.
Lots of rain and cloudy days lately.
I'm finding lots of ants colonizing the pots my peppers are growing in. Ughh.
No good answers here. Sorry.

o

Hi Tam,

I agree with Chris- from your description it sounds like you surely have thrips. I pulled all of my bell peppers last month even as they started to reflower b/c they started to show signs of thrip damage- new tender leaves (i.e. most yummy ones LOL) show deformity and curling and sometimes slight discoloring/darkening. Some species of thrips like the chili/chilean are extremely small and light colored, making them very difficult to see. Look closely and I bet you find your culprit.

HTH

Naomi

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 8:56

o

Tom---I would like to try spinosad on my vegetables (when needed) but I have no idea where to look to buy it. Your link said that the brand name is Conserve. Big box stores don't seem to carry much of a selection anymore.

Christine

o

:-)

Great place to get garden stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naturalyte - Conserve

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 18:10

Christine,

I got mine a Jene's Tropicals in St. Pete. I think it was about $12...shipping would push the price up so you'll find a reasonable price if you can find it locally and avoid shipping...has to be available at some local nursery in your area.... I'd email Southern Ag for the closest distributor for your area.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here