Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrskeith_gw

Newbe

mrskeith
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this whole gardening thing and am looking for a place I can go for help. My knowledge on gardening is at 0 lol but itnis something that I am very interested in for my family and I. A few years back I was diagnosed with cancer and after a few years of medication and treatment with no success I've decided to try and more organic and holistic approach.. I just recently move back to Florida and my Iintentions are to create an organic garden to produce the majority of our herds, fruits and vegetables but as I stated above I have minimal knowledge and next to no experience. I hope that this forum will help me get connected with people who may be willing to help me with this .
Thanks

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

If we know your zone it is alot easier to help you. Florida has several growing zones. I live near Northeast Florida and I am in zone 8b. The people on here have been a great help to me and to others, but the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to find your local Dept. of Agriculture extension service. They have a horticulturist there and master gardeners to answer your questions. Plus they have classes, festivals and free pamphlets and you can get you soil tested to find out what nutrients your soil is lacking. I too have been looking for organic and herbal remedies. Medicines haven't worked for me in over 9 years. There is also an herb site on here and a vegetable growing site, plus many more if you go to the home page.. Welcome back to Florida! Maggie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Welcome to the world of gardening! The most work is in preparation to the soil. The starting point is to make compost. Growing trees and plants is the oldest technology to man. Much has been written on the subject. There are many paths and methods to success. Do not let any failures defeat you. Every gardener deals with failure. The more you are experienced the less it happens. Learn from your failures and move on. I would add that timing is critical. There are planting calendars online that tell you when to plant for your zone. Valuable information.

Good luck

• mrskeith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all for your encouraging words and giving me a place to start...I a live in Palmetto-Manatee county. I am very determined to do this for myself and my family..I know I will have failures but as you said it will be a learning experience for not only for me but this is something I want to pass on to my boys...so far we grown a few herbs and tomatos but we have done those in planters so we could bring them in and out of the house and my boys have gotten so excited to wake up each day and care for their plants. I do alot of reading online about gardening but wanted a place where I could go and ask questions and interact with other people so I as very happy I found this site and I appreciate the time people take to respond to my posts. Thank you!

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Well it looks like you are in the same zone I am although I live 60 or so miles further south. You appear to be in the southern edge of 9b and/or the northern edge of 10a. A great place to grow a plethora of fruits and veggies.
    To start, I'd try to set up a raised bed in your backyard, if you have the room, and then decide what you want to grow. Here I've grown tomatoes which you already have, papaya, melons, peaches, green beans, lettuce, bananas, etc. Even blueberries or mango, grapefruit & key lime trees are possibilities since you are entertaining long term projects.
    Right now I have a 12 ft high Goldfinger banana plant, planted in March, that just burst forth with a huge dark red flower with 8 or more banana " hands " right behind it,...can't help drooling everytime I look at it. ( smile ).
    Your area is about ideal,....all kinds of possibilities. A chat with one of your local gardening sales people would give you some more specific ideas.
    I would also consider starting a small " kitchen waste " box to add to a large compost bin in the backyard. Just add a shovel full of topsoil to the outside bin ocassionally and soon you'll have lots of great, free fertilizer.
    Good luck !

10 years ago

Whats in store for you guys soon ! If I can do it, anyone can, A raised bed, lots of topsoil & cow manure, a small banana plant, fertilizer & lots of water,...then 7 months later,...presto !

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

Wow, Jofus! I'd love to take gardening lessons from you :)
    Marcia

10 years ago

Marcia, you are way too kind, I am sure that you and most contributors to this site know more than I do. When it comes to flowers, medicinal herbs, etc, I am clueless.

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:37

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz