Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red bougainvillea

Posted by teka2rjleffel z10FL (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:11

I am looking for red bougainvillea. I have seen it around in gardens but not in stores locally. I don't want the fuchsia or the orangey color, but a true red. Has anyone seen it available in stores. I am in Delray Beach.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red bougainvillea

Nancy - The red is a standard color. If you don't see it in HD or Loews, I'm sure that Delray Garden Center or Bushel Stop on Atlantic has it.

o

Thanks Ricky.

o

Teka, I saw one today at Home Depot in Jacksonville. I know that is a long way from you. I'm just posting to confirm that some Home Depots do have them.

Carol

o

Bougainvillea is one thing I really have a lot of lol.
I have both Barbara Karst and San Diego Red. I would not consider either a true red but more of a hot pink with San Diego Red being darker than Barbara.
A lot of growers categorize the pinks to be in the red group which makes it even more confusing lol. I also have one called Double Red which is also hot pink.

The reddest variety I have was one I found in a Kmart nursery (amazingly) several years ago that was mislabeled as 'Temple Fire'. It is definitely not Temple Fire but is a dark brick red that fades to lighter red then eventually to a very dark magenta. I will take some pics as soon as it starts blooming again (no clue what the real name is on this one).

Most of the 'reds' seem to fade to pink but I think there are some redder varieties coming out on the market like 'Tomato Red' (scroll down on the link below). If you find out whose selling it let me know lol. It looks like this place is only selling in bulk/wholesale (??)

Logees has a red called Firecracker Red but I believe that one is really dark orangy red and fades to lighter orange. I haven't seen it in person so can't say for sure.

I think the best thing to do is do a google image search of the actual names of the varieties you are interested in, to see different photos of them.
I would make sure to see the open flowers/bracts on a potential plant you are going to buy because they are always lighter than the buds and half open flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Red bougainvillea

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 14:36

o

I found a photo of my mislabled Temple Fire that is my 'reddest' bougainvillea
 photo BougTempleFire_zpsedbd17f6.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here