Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Dwarf Mulberry everbearing- morus nigra

I bought one of these at the beginning of spring and it was a 4 inch stick. It pouted in the pot so I stuck it in the ground. Now it is about 6 1/2 feet tall.
I was wondering how tall it will get if I leave it in the ground? Do you think these will get taller in FL? I read that they get around 6ft and it is already a little taller than that. I hope it won't get too big lol

Does anyone else grow these here? How big are the fruit and how do they taste?
~SJN

Comments (20)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Your new mulberry is likely to be this kind. The cultivar does produce a small tree but I'd expect that to translate into something like 15-35 ft. (or more) rather than 6 ft., which isn't even in the large shrub range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Hybrid Mulberry by Arthur Lee Jacobson

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 13:46

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got it from a company that just resells plants from agristarts so it is a clone of the original dwarf mulberry. I don't believe they sell any other varieties of mulberries. I do think it will probably get taller than claimed but I sure hope it won't get 20 ft or more. I have it pretty close to the house right now lol. It is supposed to be more of a tall shrub than a tall tree.

Does anyone else grow this variety and what has your experience been? I am trying to decide if I should move it or not.

• ibarbidahl
    9 years ago

hahahaha! SHRUB? No. I too planted mine too close to my house and have to cut it at very least HALF each year in the fall. I quarter it again in late spring. It's mammoth and only 6 years old. I keep it trimmed to 10' but it's a lot of work keeping it there.

Barbie

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    9 years ago

I got my dwarf everbearing mulberry well over a year ago from a friend who started them from cuttings from his DEM (I have never seen his plant so cannot comment on it's size). Since then it has nearly doubled in size, now stands at a whooping 20 inches tall and still in a one gallon pot. It put out fruit last year and this year, but the size of them are about the size of a fingernail from a pinky finger. Since the fruits have been so small it is almost not worth any extra effort on my part, so it has kinda been neglected.
    Sure isn't a growing monster like my Tice mullberry.

DM

• ibarbidahl
    9 years ago

Dangermouse is right. It fruits very well - but the fruit are mostly small. Good taste (A bit watery) and very low care other than cutting it back. Fantastic for feeding birds. My chickens B-line for it, my ducks eat the fruit that falls in their pond and otherwise every cardinal in the county can be seen snacking on it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Barbie: Good to hear that the chickens like them. We also have muscovy ducks, turkey hens and guineas who all like to devour fruit. We have lots of wild blackberries, grapes, and beauty berries that they love to eat so I thought I would plant some more stuff for them. Yesterday dh found a black walnut next to the guinea coop. To my knowledge we don't have a walnut tree lol. I will have to go looking in the woods behind us and see if there are any nearby that the squirrels have been robbing.
    DM: I had to look up the Tice variety of mulberry that is a new one to me. They look like nice trees. It does look to grow very large. I hope it has good fruit for you.
    I have been looking at the Pakistan and King Pakistan (white) varieties. They are pretty expensive at most places right now but I will probably get some eventually. They will definitely have to be planted far from the house lol.
    SJN

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

A large bush, mine is maybe 10 feet and I just kind of let it droop over. As you know the leaves and the fruit are much smaller that its larger cousin. However, it fruits throughout the year, although it does have a heavy fruiting season in the spring and bears fruit more lightly the rest of the year. This seems like the perfect bush for your needs. I agree with the posters above, the birds, especially the cardinals love it. Also, if you don't need to move it, why not just start some cuttings in the spring, just when it is about to leaf-out. That's how I got mine. J

Original Author
    9 years ago

jstropic: Yes I was thinking of doing some cuttings. Sometimes I take semi hardwood shrub cuttings and also fig cuttings and put them in the greenhouse over the winter and they are rooted by spring. This crazy mulberry has branches all the way down to the ground. There are 4 branches just laying on the ground that I scooped some dirt over..i bet it will probably root there by spring too. Mine kinda flops over a little on the top too. We do have a lot of cardinals who visit. They like to fly into the chicken pens and see what they can find to eat.
    ~SJN

Original Author
    8 years ago

Update on my dwarf everbearing black mulberry in case anyone is ever searching for info on them. It has thousands and thousands of mulberries on it now lol. They are really good kinda like a slightly less intense blackberry flavor. I cant quit eating them lol. Some berries are small but some are the same sz as larger mulberries on reg sz trees. Huge improvement over last year. Ok the tree itself is probably 10 feet. The top branches kinda droop over. I pulled a bottom branch down and set a brick on it last fall and it made 4 rooted babies. I really like this tree.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    8 years ago

They grow up to 15-20 feet it will want to Bush but you can train it to be a tree by cutting off what u don't want and forcing it up I have 1and love it.making new plant from cutting is easy just take cutting place in pot with good dirt keep it watered keep in shade and it will grow a new plant,when it looks like a dead stick don't pull it out wait and new growth will grow in 2or3weeks

• irma_stpete_10a
    8 years ago

I want one! An online advice I just read is, "Cut out one major branch each year, to encourage the tree to produce more fruit." Does this work for you?

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    8 years ago

Trimming does help it produce more,Irma I just took clippings so I will have small plants soon I could send u 1

• irma_stpete_10a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hot diggity! Thanks, Glenn! I want to entice more cardinals to visit!

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    8 years ago

Bird's do love them but they don't get many of mine my kids get them first ,Irma just need to know where to send it

• irma_stpete_10a
    8 years ago

Glenn, please e-mail me at irmaathome followed by @google dot com.

• whgille
    8 years ago

Sultry, I am having the same experience like you have with your mulberry. I am happy with the flavor and any extras can go to the birds. When I mix them with the white ones that I have they make a perfect combination.

Silvia

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    8 years ago

I just got a white mullberry and don't know what to expect from it what can u tell me about them

• whgille
    8 years ago

There are different kind of white mulberries, the one that I have is really sweet, it grows fast but I keep it trimmed to about 7 or 8 ft.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    8 years ago

It was given to me the guy told me it was a red mullberry it had berries on it so I was waiting for the berries to change color but they didn't and they disappeared 1 by 1 till I had but 1 my oldest daughter saw the last 1fall and ate it said it was sweet so I think it is a white mullberry