Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simpson Stopper - Twinberry

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 13:33

Has anyone grown these from seed? In a pot? I was thinking of planting these on the north side of my house, but after talking to my Extension Office, I learned that they might not do as well as I would hope since I'm in 9a. Especially given that they're forecasting a 'cold and wet' winter this year. So I have 10 seeds sitting in a little packet that won't be used as I had thought.

Looking up instructions on germination of Simpson Stopper, it's pretty straight forward and easy. "Direct sow in the ground in autumn." That's it. Very, very simple. But since we're looking at a 'cold and wet' winter and since I'm at the very northern edge of their range, I would like to get them started in pots and maybe plant them to somewhere on the southern or eastern side side of my house come springtime. Since the suggested germination process is so simple, I would imagine that it would be just as simple in a pot. But is there anything I should take into account for starting them in pots versus in-ground? I know that the pots will get colder than the ground and so I will have to protect them on cold nights and possibly even bring them indoors. But is there anything else?

As always, thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simpson Stopper - Twinberry

Haven't grown them in a pot. Mine self-sowed this year and I had a gazillion seedlings that sprouted about a month ago when it was very warm and wet. That said, any time you grow anything, it's an experiment - give it a shot and if you succeed, you can crow about it! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here