Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmeinflorida

New to ground gardening, need advice please

justmeinflorida
9 years ago

We built a Aquaponics system that was doing really well last season but then I had to leave for a month July/Aug. and no one kept up with it and everything died :( My only mistake was putting to much in the beds. Realizing I need more space I'm using the AP system for Bok Choy, Collards, Cabbage and Celery and I'm utilizing a 16'x19 1/2' sunny space in my yard to ground garden. I have a few questions before I get started on this.

We'd like plant (in the 16'x19 1/2' area) Beans (b.lake, kidney, black, blackeyed and pink), Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Onion (red, bunching, sweet), Radish, Spinach, Garlic and Strawberries. I have another partially shaded spot for Sweet Potatoes and I'm putting Potatoes in 5gl buckets near the AP system.

How much would one grow for a family of 6? We would also like to sub. out some of our 8 chickens feed with fresh stuff from the garden. We don't want to grow to little and have no problem blanching and freezing if we have to much. We also have neighbors that wouldn't mind having a little.

Is this enough space? There's grass there right now, so do I just remove the grass and till in some cow manure? Would adding a fish and kelp blend to the ground help the starts when I put them out? I bought 6 9.8'x26.6"x19.7H Haxnicks Giant Micromesh Grow Tunnels, will my garden need more? If I have the grow tunnels, can I just start all the seeds in the ground, instead of indoors? I have 6 bags of red mulch, is this ok to use? Do I need it?

So for so many questions...just want to start this right. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living