Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clean mold off patio?

Posted by writersblock (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 21, 08 at 13:42

When I first moved here a couple of years ago, the courtyard was just black with mold/mildew. I tried all the kinder things I could think of, but eventually was forced back to using outdoor bleach and feeling guilty. The plus side is that the paving stayed nice and clean from the residue.

But a couple of months ago the HOA had the buildings pressure cleaned and that pushed out all the remaining bleach residue, so now everything looks nearly as awful as it did when I moved in.

Anyone have any useful formulas for a more eco-friendly scrub?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clean mold off patio?

I'll be eager to see the other suggestions, but I use bleach too. It doesn't take much though so I dilute it at about a 10:1 ratio. No measuring is involved, just 'guess pouring'. Then I spray it on the patio when I first notice the mildew.

I don't think chlorine has much residual, especially in sunlight, so it's not really likely that one application lasted for years. Something else probably changed. Maybe when the HOA did the cleaning it washed mold spores off the building and they settled on your patio where they started to thrive.

Kate

o

I use bleach also. Actually, I have spent the last 2 days cleaning the aluminum structure for my screened patio. With all the rain we've had, the mildew was so bad I had to hand wash most of it. Chlorine evaporates within 24 hours, if I remember correctly.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 21, 08 at 16:51

I don't think there's much to clean mold but chlorine. TSP is supposed to work, but I don't find it very effective.

If you get all the mold off, and you use a penetarting concrete stain to seal the concrete it won't happen again or at least for several years till it needs the stain again. They call it stain but it looks like paint and comes in colors. We did our driveway and side walk 8 years ago and it is just now showing some spots. H&C concrete stain can be purchased at HD and Lowes. ;o)

o

Thanks, everyone. Darn. I've got a nice little ecosystem out there and I hate to do anything that might be even moderately toxic to the snakes, land crabs, etc.

o

If you use a hand held spray bottle you shouldn't disrupt the surrounding area. Living creatures will just stay away from the patio until the chlorine breaks down; I'm pretty sure that bodiggly is right and it's gone within 24 hours. After spraying I've never seen dead snakes or even anoles. Chlorine is a natural and abundant chemical. We didn't creat it and used in moderation it's not going to destroy the habitats in your yard. It's good to be concerned and careful, but I don't think you need to worry.

o

Thanks for the encouragement, solstice98.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here