Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get strawberry plugs?

Posted by c9pilot 9b/10a (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 13:49

My son is outside drilling holes in my (new, unused) sewer pipe right now, but I don't really want to drive all the way to Plant City to buy strawberry plugs - since I live in south St Pete.

Does anybody know where I can get some locally?

I will also accept any recommendations on varieties!

Here's a link to what I'm trying (!!!) to set up:

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Strawberry Tower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get strawberry plugs?

call your extension office. I know a couple up here are selling them and if not they may know where you can buy some locally.

o

Hi
Sounds like a great idea, sort of a strawberry jar on steroids lol. Are you going to use hydroponic method?? Any tips on how to keep it upright?? No help on plugs I usually get mine from the box stores as I use the jars so only get 25.
Last year had good luck with everbearing "ozark beauty' outlasted june bearing "fiesta" . have always wanted to try seeds but seems a LOT of work?? good luck gary

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 7:44

I was going to suggest the box stores, I know HD has them in my area now.

o

Gary - I started some strawberry seeds in August. They are heat sensitive so I planted them inside and just put them outside on the deck yesterday. The seed type strawberry is an alpine variety, small plants with small fruits. My plants have been blooming for weeks now with no fruit set. Guess they must be outside for the insects to get busy or perhaps my house temp was too warm. We'll see soon.

Christine

o

I'm not familiar with the Alpine variety. I grow Festival and they don't fruit until January.

o

Christine, I planted alpines a while ago and they did very well. A few lasted through the summer and into the next year. The problem I had was sow bugs eating them. I should really try again. I get my regular strawberry plugs from Parksdale Farms. The big box stores around here are very expensive and one plant is $4. One strawberry plant doesn't make many strawberries.

o

amberroses - I'm so pleased to hear that your alpine strawberry plants were so hardy. I kept mine inside until the cool down because I thought that the heat would cause them to decline. I'll watch out for bugs. My Festivals have had caterpillars on them already. I bought mine (Festivals) for 50 cents at my local Ag Center, a one shot deal. How was the flavor of the alpines?

Christine

o

The flavor was good, but they're really small. They made plenty of tiny strawberries. A few did survive through the summer, but they only produced strawberries when it was cooler. I had a red ones and yellow ones. I think I should try again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here