Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acorns As Compost?

Posted by brute Florida 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 13:49

There are 9 large old oak trees around my place, and around this time of year the acorns fall like rain. If I hadn't had a tree service trim the limbs above my house last year, the constant rainlike racket on my roof and the filling of my rain gutters would have driven my insane by now.
When I walk barefoot under the trees, I can feel nothing but acorns. The squirrels, woodpeckers, and flocks of grackles are trying to keep up, but they're hardly making a dent.
A strange thought just occurred to me. I could easily scoop up several wheelbarrows full of acorns and deposit them into the compost pile. If I did, would they turn into something useful?
Seems like an organic resource worth exploiting.
Any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acorns As Compost?

Does the phrase "Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow" mean anything to you?

o

Not a good idea, unless you grind them up first. I've tried a couple of things.

1) put them into a black plastic pot lined with screen so none escaped, covered, and left to sit until the bugs ate them.

2) put them into a double black plastic bag and let them sit until they rotted.

Both too much trouble. Now I just gather them into a paper bag and put them into the yard waste. I have enough seedlings already.

o

One year there were so many in the street, crushed by the traffic, that I got out my bagging mower and vacumned them up for the compost pile. I know my neighbors thought I was crazy, mowing the street, but they do make a good compost.

o

1. Put acorns in deer.

2. Put deer in freezer.

o

Hmmmm... I put acorns in my John Deere and now it don't run.
BUMMER!

Lou

o

works. but be ready to pull out lots of baby trees. Grinding first sounds like a solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here