Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Where to get red wigglers?

olyagrove
13 years ago

I want to try composting with red wiggler composting worms - where in Tampabay can I find them?

The articles I have been reading on worm composting suggest ordering online - but would not hurt to see if they are available locally

Thank you

Comments (21)

• johnjsr
    13 years ago

Try a freshwater bait shop.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Try a freshwater bait shop
    Do they label their earthworm species? Or are red wigglers used a lot for fishing?

From one of the articles I am reading:
    Eisenia foetida (commonly known as red wiggler, brandling, or manure worm) and Lumbricus rubellus They are often found in aged manure and compost heaps. Please do not use dew-worms (large size worms found in soil and compost) as they are not likely to survive.

I just want to make sure I am using the right worms! :)
    Thank you

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

For anybody living near Masaryktown, FL, (7 miles south of Brooksville, Fl.) there is a really good worm farm that sells worms, worm castings, etc.
    Click on the link below to browse their website.

Lou

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Buy Worms

• johnjsr
    13 years ago

"are red wigglers used a lot for fishing?". Yes they are, but I would ask Bubba, the owner, if they are Eisenia foetida. I would like to be there. ;>)
    john

• bamboo_rabbit
    13 years ago

I know where to buy them by the thousands in Inverness and Dunellon but not Tampa.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes they are, but I would ask Bubba, the owner, if they are Eisenia foetida. I would like to be there

My thoughts exactly

Thank you for the suggestions so far...

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lou, thank you for the link - lots of good information there!

• flyingfish2
    13 years ago

Anyone interested in a plastic 5 tray worm box, I have one for 1/2 price because it was not big enough for me and I built 2 larger ones using Hardy Board.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How much do you think it will come out to, with shipping?

• flyingfish2
    13 years ago

Hi Ogyagrove,

They sell for 119, I would sell for 50.

I can probably get the system to Tom in St Pete and maybe you could pick it up there. I can check and see when he is coming to my area again.

bernie

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

And Tom works near Fletcher and BB Downs in Tampa.

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fletcher and BB Downs in Tampa

What are the chances...I work around there as well.
    Small world isn't it

Bernie, that sounds good...do you have any wigglers you could spare to get the system going, or do I need a whole bunch to get started? :)

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Hi folks, been away for awhile. Cathy and I were off visiting friends on a cattle ranch in Mebane N.C.

Bernie, we'll be down for Turkey Day so I can swing by your place if this thing isn't too big or *** stinky ***, we'll have Cathy's SUV....

Olya, standby for Bernie's response.

Tom

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom, do you indeed work in Tampa and can bring this thing with you? :) I am transportation limited otherwise.
    I am at USF Monday-Friday and can meet anytime and anywhere in the area.

• flyingfish2
    13 years ago

Tom, It will be well cleaned with light clorox solution and cooked in the sun. I can drop it at FIL's before that. Look for email.

Olyagrove, you should probably pick up worms in your area, it will be in Okeechobee several days before Tom picks it up. Do not worry the money, I'll send my mailing address and you can mail me a check.

bernie

• flyingfish2
    13 years ago

Olyagrove, suggest you get your hands on the book:

WORMS eat my garbage by Mary Appelhof

bernie

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bernie thank you. And no worries, I will send the check ;) Can you please email me at
    olyagrove AT gmail

Thank you

• flyingfish2
    13 years ago

Olyagrove,

I have delivered the earthworm house to Tom's FIL. Tom needs to know how to contact you??

• olyagrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Could you please email me at
    olyagrove at gmail

and if you know Tom's email, please send it to me
    Thank you!

• farmerjay43_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I found the best way is to Google the city you are in. If you live in Florida you could Google Red Worms Tampa or so on. Or Go to Yahoo and put in red worms Tampa or your city
    http://www.google.com/search?q=red+worms+tampa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=red+worms+tampa&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

Here are a few you can call. Thanks farmer jay.

• erubin414
    12 years ago

I bought my worms in Tampa, from a recommendation of the Hillsborough County extension service. They recommended Hongkongwillie in Tampa. I found they were the only place selling a worm local to this area. Every grower said they raised Eisenia foetida, or European Night crawlers. The weight was over a pound not including the dirt. Hope this is helpful. Ellen Rubin

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner