Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loufloralcityz9

Dunstan Chestnuts (blight-resistant American Chestnut hybrid)

loufloralcityz9
13 years ago

I just received a few pounds of Dunstan Chestnuts and will be planting some as seeds to grow trees, I will roast the rest to eat. There are many blight-resistant hybrids of American and Chinese chestnuts to grow. These trees can reach 50 feet tall at maturity. This is the Dunstan hybrid (The Dunstan Chestnuts are the first chestnuts to ever receive U.S. Plant Patents) from Dr. Robert T. Dunstan. There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. Chestnuts are moderately fast growers and, in general, are hardy in USDA zones 5 to 9. It's best to grow two or more varieties of chestnuts to get proper pollination and nut production. If there are any of you in zones 8 & 9 and have the room for this tree please let me know and I can pop a seed in a pot for you before they all end up in my tummy. Mind you this will take some time to sprout and get strong enough to mail out. Most nut trees start producing within 3 to 5 years of planting. So you don't have to wait long for your first harvest. My cross pollinator will be my two Chinese Chestnut trees.

NOTE; You will need a different variety as a pollinator of which I cannot supply. So you will have to have the space for two large trees.

Again, Please let me know if interested,

Lou

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz