Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dunstan Chestnuts (blight-resistant American Chestnut hybrid)

Posted by loufloralcityz9 Z 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 14:46

I just received a few pounds of Dunstan Chestnuts and will be planting some as seeds to grow trees, I will roast the rest to eat. There are many blight-resistant hybrids of American and Chinese chestnuts to grow. These trees can reach 50 feet tall at maturity. This is the Dunstan hybrid (The Dunstan Chestnuts are the first chestnuts to ever receive U.S. Plant Patents) from Dr. Robert T. Dunstan. There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. Chestnuts are moderately fast growers and, in general, are hardy in USDA zones 5 to 9. It's best to grow two or more varieties of chestnuts to get proper pollination and nut production. If there are any of you in zones 8 & 9 and have the room for this tree please let me know and I can pop a seed in a pot for you before they all end up in my tummy. Mind you this will take some time to sprout and get strong enough to mail out. Most nut trees start producing within 3 to 5 years of planting. So you don't have to wait long for your first harvest. My cross pollinator will be my two Chinese Chestnut trees.

NOTE; You will need a different variety as a pollinator of which I cannot supply. So you will have to have the space for two large trees.

Again, Please let me know if interested,
Lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dunstan Chestnuts (blight-resistant American Chestnut hybrid)

I think I'm jealous! I love chestnuts - only wish I had the space in my tiny yard....

o

I'd like a couple. I'll make space for them. Since these are grown from seed, each should be it's own "variety," shouldn't it? Two seedlings should cross pollinate successfully.

o
RE: Dunstan Chestnuts (Blight-Resistant American Chestnut Hybrid)

Sharon,
You make a good point, I really don't know, but what you say makes very good sense. On the site that sells Chestnut trees to the growers, they were talking about what the 'Growers' should do to maximize their crop yield is intersperse a one to ten ratio of a different hybrid. We don't need 'maximized crop yields', just enough for the furry tailed tree critters with some left over for us :)
I will be starting the seeds in my green house with a heat mat under under the pots. I will post the progress on them.

These are gorgeous looking nuts, far superior to those Chinese nuts you get in stores,
Lou

o

Lou,

Add me to the list for a couple, thanks.

o

Sharon,
You are correct with two trees will cross pollinate, I just looked it up. Chestnuts have both male and female flowers on the same tree but are not self-fertile. At least 2 trees are necessary to make nuts, and they should be no more than 200 feet apart for efficient pollination. Thank you for bringing that point to light.

Bamboo-rabbit,
I will start a couple of Chestnuts for you.
I'm just starting to get bud swell on a few of the Black Mulberry starts, they are looking good so far.
The grouper sounds like a good deal, Thanks.

Lou

o

Will one resistant tree grow in Northern Maine - for its beauty, not for the nuts? That's zone 4. Where should I get one?

o

Sharon,

Please send me an email through GW so we can work out how to get the trees to you. I have two healthy Dunstan Chestnut trees growing in a one gallon pot for you.

Lou

o

Aw man, another thing I missed out on by not finding this site last year! I think it would be awesome to have chestnut trees. Another thing to add to my wish list, lol!

o

Tru,

I may have extras, will have to go check. That area of my growing is very bushy right now with different trees I started from seeds and I'm not sure what all that is growing in there without pulling all the pots separate to see. I'll get back to you later.

Lou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here