Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbear49

How to keep a bougainvillea compact and flowering?

gardenbear49
11 years ago

I love these plants but don't love how they send all these sprawling long branches out with just a few flowers on the end. I grow them in full sun, mostly in the ground but a few in big pots and they all do the same thing. I see others in the area profusely blooming on very short branches and that's the way they come from the nursery too but I just can't seem to learn the trick. I have the everblooming purple, a supposedly compact orange that's no longer compact nor blooming, and a really sprawling red one that stays small and loaded with flowers for one of my neighbors but not for me!

I've all sorts of fertilizing and pruning routines. Any help would be great!

Comments (17)

• tinael01
    11 years ago

I believe its the variety that makes them big or small. I have a little verigated one that hangs in a basket by my front door and is just the right size. The big ones are definately hard to control. I have one near my veggie garden and I am constantly backing into it and scratching up my legs. the other side of the coin though is when it is blooming in screaming purple and the flame vine is in show in screaming orange beside it....I forget all about the scratches and just enjoy the show! Look for dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties. Good luck!

• muscledbear
    11 years ago

Are you feeding it a lot or is it in rich soil? These guys can handle poor growing conditions. I have found mine tend to bloom better if i don't feed them as much. Or try laying off the nitrogen for a while.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Bougainvillea loves to be abused. Stick in sand and never feed it and don't over water and it will bloom its head off. The more you pamper it, the more it puts its energy into making leaves rather than blooms.

• saldut
    11 years ago

I read someplace that they bloom on 'new growth' same as roses, so after pruning they should bloom, the trick is the weather and the 'season' figure into this as well....sally

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

They bloom more if they are root bound. That will also help control the size.

Bury them IN a plastic pot with the bottom cut out, pot and all. That will bind the roots quickly. Also agree... lay off the nitrogen.

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your input!I've been lusting after the bouggies I've seen in Cabo growing in big pots and blooming away like crazy on these eentsy small stems. They must prune them within an inch of their lives, but they come right back blooming even on 3 inch branches. When I prune them like that, they don't bloom again until they grow 3' or more! The purple one seems to bloom year around the best. Some of the CA growers say to fertilize a lot and use a specific boug. fert. and others say to starve them. Confusing...

• timetraveler zone 9b Melbourne Beach, Florida
    11 years ago

They do bloom on new growth (at least mine do). The key to blooms is pruning. As soon as the flowers are finished, cut the plant back to sub-compact. After it blooms again, cut it back again.

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

Pinch the tips of new growth!

• gardenbear49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Timetraveler,
    I see we are neighbors! Yes, I've tried pruning wayyyy back but they still will not bloom again til they'e sent out these sprawling 3' or more branches. Even my 'dwarf' orange one. I'd like to get them to bloom on short stems so the plants stay more compact and densely flowered on short stems.
    Thanks Leahreneel,
    I have tried to pinch the new growth, but still no blooms til the resulting new stems get way too long and gangly.
    How do the growers get their potted plants to bloom so well on such short stems, I wonder. They must pour on the fertilizer in order to push them along to sell as soon as possible!?? Growth inhibitors maybe??

• deannac
    11 years ago

lol,yeah, what they said! My bougainvillea is stuck in indigenous soil in full sun. I've had it for 18 years. I've never watered it, never fertilized it. The only thing I do is give it a SEVERE pruning when it starts to pull the privacy fence panels down OR when I know a freeze is coming.

• meisie p
    8 years ago

My boygainvillea is not in full sun, it is in a mottled sun in a pot. I have had it 3mths now and will not flower. I try to only water it once a week or when i see the tips droop. I also cut the new growth back to about 12" from the stem,cause i want a more cimpact plant How can i make it bloom?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    8 years ago

I learned something new recently that could help with flowering, though it won't help with keeping them compact. As a bougainvillea grows, at each leaf node there is a chance of one of two things happening; either it will form a thorn or it will form a flower. By clipping a bougainvillea, it often makes it so that the plant will go into 'thorn mode' for a time before going back to flowering (perhaps a defense mechanism?) You can try to force blooming by using specialized fertilizers formulated to induce flowering; these are often found for veggies, but sometimes pretty much the same formulation is packaged as bougainvillea fertilizer and marked up a little more. Ultimately though, the best way to get a bougainvillea to flower is to leave it alone.

8 years ago

Trim it after it blooms. Otherwise you might be cutting off the flower buds.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    8 years ago

The video where I learned about the thorns or blooms bit:

Burke's Backyard Bougies

8 years ago

Thanks, Michael! DH will love this video. He hates to prune our bougainvillea.

• Kiki .Polglase
    4 years ago

All very helpful infomativ, thanks! Might have to repot my pink one into poorer soil. Possibly into a smaller pot as well.