Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Poinciana cause of death?

Posted by TheTradition 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 14:57

I have two Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinina pulcherrima) plants that are about three years old. A few weeks ago, one of them started turning yellow near the branch ends, and the yellowing quickly spread to the entire plant, and all the leaves fell off. Oddly, the plant was still blooming despite this event, but now all the flowers are dead, too. The other tree has a little bit of yellow on some leaves, but does not appear to be going into the rapid decline that affected the other tree. The only disease that UF says they're susceptible to is mushroom root rot. However, I don't see any of the tell-tale fungi that would indicate mushroom root rot as the cause.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is my tree dead? I have plenty of seeds and can grow a replacement shrub easily, but if I stick it in the same place will that spot be forever infected and kill the replacement, too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Poinciana cause of death?

Generally if the plant is dead the leaves stay attached to the dead stem/branches. You can scratch the bark with your finger nail and see if the tree is green underneath the bark. I can't grow poinciana here so I don't know much about their care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here