Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bd74

Are these palm tree small fruits edible?

bd74
11 years ago

And/or do they have any health benefits?

Comments (11)

• dylanduck14
    11 years ago

Do you know what kind of palm it is? Looks kinda similar to a Queen, which is what I believe my neighbor has. I'm not great at IDing though and I'm not sure if Queen palm fruit is edible - some sources say it is and some say it isn't. I hope it is though, I really want to eat it.

• bd74
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the different types of palm trees, but I suppose it is a Queen palm (after Googling queen palm pictures).

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    11 years ago

That's a Queen Palm and unless you're a squirrel, you won't be eating the seeds.

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

LOL- I was about to say that we have squirrels that are completely crazy about them. I've never tried one myself. :)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

The skin of a pindo palm's fruit is a bit like chewing through fiberglass too. The first one I ate, I had to keep stopping to pull the fibers off of my tongue, it never pierced my tongue, but sure felt like it could. After that I started peeling them. Quite tasty, just not something you want to eat skin and all.

• echobelly
    11 years ago

I have 27 Queen palms in my yard. The first year I was here, none of them fruited. Then i made the mistake of fertilizing them! Now they all seem to be fruiting all the time. The squirrels do love the fruit. My dogs occasionally eat them. They are edible, but not really worth it. They are very fibrous, and as someone above mentioned you need to cut the fruit off the nut, or the fibers get stuck between your teeth. I usually cut down the fruit clusters I can reach with an extension saw, they make a terrible mess.

• dylanduck14
    11 years ago

My neighbor also has a pindo palm and I love the fruit! It's like heaven in my mouth! The fibers do get stuck in my teeth but not too badly. I don't mind fiber in pindos, mango, etc. I bet i'll love Queen fruit too, i can't wait till the fruit is ripe!

• cassmana
    7 years ago

Please be very careful with your pets eating the nuts. My little dog Willow just died yesterday from the nut perforating her intestines. I am devastated. I had all the fruit cut off and hauled away. The nuts are not digestible and can do kill your dog. Willow was a senior rescue from a high kill shelter. She had no teeth and swallowed the nut whole.

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry about your dog.

• whgille
    7 years ago

Cassmana. I am so sorry about losing your pet, I also have a 3 rescues at my house and they are a part of my family, I would feel terrible if something happens to them. Thank you for posting for other pet owners.

Silvia

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz