Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify unknown root-like growth

Posted by FirstErin 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 15:15

We dug these strange things up from our back yard. We've been in this house for 25 years and have never planted anything in the area these were found. They are similar in size and shape to fingerling potatoes but many have quite a few smaller root like growths protruding from them. I've been in touch with the county extension service and they think it's a type of non showy orchard whose name escapes me at the moment. Where did they come from and what are they? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify unknown root-like growth

Orchid or orchard?

o

They look a lot like the tubers of gloriosa lilies to me, but I'm betting the county extension people are more knowledgable than I...

o

Carolb, that's the first thing I thought when I saw them, too (gloriosa lily tubers). Can't tell for certain from the photo if the leaf structure matches or not, but it don't seem like it does.

If they were found along a fence line, it is possible that a prior owner planted gloriosa lilies, as they have tendrils and like to climb.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Yep, gloriosa tubers. They are going dormant right now, so have no foliage. Plant them somewhere they can climb, and you will be rewarded with beautiful flowers in the summer.

o

Was this a spot you'd always kept mowed before? When drought made our grass go dormant a couple years ago, I found Lycoris and Gladiolus bulbs in the lawn. They were still green, and had just been getting mowed along with the grass for many years. I dug up and moved as many as I could and have started getting some blooms this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here