Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Brugmansia toughness

I managed to *cough* 'acquire' a couple of seed pods from an Angel's Trumpet this past summer. I now have three seedlings growing and I am thinking one might make an attractive addition to my Tropical bed. But I find differing reports on just how hardy this plant is. One book says 9-11, another says 9b-11 and a third says 10-11, but ones grown in 8b-9b will return from roots each spring, gradually getting weaker year by year. So I would like to hear any success stories of people growing this plant in Zone 9.

Since they are still under 6", I do not intend to put them in-ground this year, but waiting until after the last frost of next March to plant one. The other two will likely be kept in planters so they can go with me when we move. I am just wondering if I should keep all of them in planters and move the one from the Tropical bed each winter. Not exactly a road I want to travel with my gimpy back.

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Grows like a weed, lay a cutting on the ground and it will root. If it freezes and is established, right back up to six or more foot by summer. Don't waste your time with seeds...cuttings root in a week or two. Root bound in a month....or however you want to propagate it. Hope this helps and NO pictures.......

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I garden in z9a Houston area and if winter is mild, I won't experience dieback at all. Two years ago when we had a cold winter (for us) they died completely to the ground but re- emerged in spring.

Wise decision to overwinter anything less than12" tall. I have lost all of those regardless of how mild the winter. Anything over 1 ft tall that has been planted inground has come back. All my brugs are in ground. Some are in brutal sun and some in shade. Sunny ones just need a little bit more water. I have zero pest problems and have no doubt that if I were diligent with water soluble fertilizer they'd be blooming machines, but I'm content with the show they produce with care they get

• morningloree
    9 years ago

My father grows his in Zone 8b in Texas, comes back every year. He mulches heavily for winter and has not lost his. The only one I've lost in 9b was my variegated angel trumpet. I lost it during the unusual cold snap we had a few years back. I have 5 that are in ground and have done well. I would say if you are getting an unusual cold snap to mulch the base heavily or cover.

• irma_stpete_10a
    9 years ago

So, it is tough. How to get it to bloom?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it might do okay in my somewhat protected (and even more protected by this time next year after the wind break fills in more) Tropical bed. Thanks for the feedback.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Most established brugs will return here. I put the ones that I have set seedpods on into the greenhouse overwinter and also my smaller seedlings until they are about a yr old.
    Seedlings are nice if you are a backyard hybridizer and want to create new brugs. I have a lot of fun with mine and have got some very unique brugs from my seedlings. If you want to get more of the same variety that you already have, then most cuttings are very easy.
    ~SJN

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 11:02

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irma, I was just flipping through one of my books and read its section on Brugs. It says the way to keep them blooming is to keep them moist. While they are somewhat drought tolerant, they don't bloom when the soil is dry.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I got 3 small cuttings of this yesterday...I potted 2 of them in moist fast draining soil and one in water. This morning...the one in water looks great but the 2 in potting mix the leaves are all wilted :o)...is it a goner , I did not remove the leaves...should I leave it alone and see if it perks up? Do I need to remove all the leaves while trying to root?

Thanks for any help and advise...

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy
    Do your cuttings look better today?

I always remove most of the leaves, even if rooting in water, because they will rot and fall off.

I'm pretty sure you'll see your cuttings perk up if you keep the soil good and moist. Let us know how it works out.

I got this plant as a tiny cutting from Mark last spring. It's now way over the fence, hanging its trumpets on the other side for the people driving by to enjoy. I've been pruning it and making cuttings all summer and they all seem to root.

What color are yours?

Susie

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi Susie...yours is very pretty!!! Love the color :o)...I decided to remove the leaves on the 2 cuttings I'm rooting in potting mix...we'll see what happens. I've been keeping the mix moist.

The one in water I left a few of the leaves (removed the larger ones) and they look great today...no wilting.

I'm not positive but I think mine are pink also? Right now the Mother plant has a few young/immature (greenish) flowers on them...will have to see what they end up being?

Thanks for your help and advise, especially your picture! Fingers crossed they root!! I'll update later "if" they do or don't root,lol...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH