Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rice Seed

Posted by shuffles 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 15:49

Does anyone have a source for rice seed. I have looked and looked on the net and found nowhere that sells small amounts. I'd like to buy about a pound to try. I tried brown rice from the store but it has never germinated. I understand that they heat treat to remove the hulls and that kills the seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rice Seed

Southern Exposure Seed has Hmong STicky. I know I saw somebody out west with upland rice, but dang if I can find it now. I thought it was Bountiful Gardens but I can't find it on their grain page now (http://www.bountifulgardens.org/products.asp?dept=4). It may have been Sustainable Seed Co. Baker Creek Seed also has some rice listed (http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/grains.html). You could also buy Rice sprouts and just keep growing them (http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/grains.html).

Lou was growing rice and I think he said he got his seed on ebay. You could try searching here in the Florida forum.

Hope this helps, if you find upland rice let us know will you?

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Hmong Sticky Rice

o

dianne, I found a source for two varieties of upland rice: Baker Creek Heirloom Seed (rareseeds.com) One variety is from Charleston SC and the other from Belize. I plan to try both next spring. The seeds are not cheap. I have not been able to find any other source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seed

o

Kitazawa Seed Co has rice seeds. Paul.

o

drive by SR 80 in west palm beach and "borrow" some from the fields!!!

o

LOL, jay, I thought of that, too. There's usually plenty that has volunteered along the roadside on 80 and on 27/441 in that area.

o
RE:oops

Oops, actually it's on 441 up around Pahokee--lots along there.

o

Well, I had no idea that there is commercial rice production in Florida. Is this paddy rice? Is there a large area of rice? When does it ripen? Where do they sell it?

o

It's used as a rotation crop. More info here:

Here is a link that might be useful: rice with sugar cane

o
forgot

I forgot to mention that Florida Crystals grows organic rice in their organic sugar fields, but I don't know when it's available or under what name they sell it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here