Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neighborhood history gardening

Posted by natives_and_veggies 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 16:21

I just gave my neighbor a baby dwarf ponciana and several cuttings from my crotons. The dwarf ponc is a small tree that has become its own ecosystem in my yard, feeding a huge variety of butterflies, plus the bees, parrots and hummers and hosting a cardinal family last year. I love it.
And I look around my 'hood and see all of these "shared over the back fence" plants. There are traveler palms that all originated with one neighbor who had pups and shared them. There are several varieties of yucca that have been shared. There are also several calamondin trees in the neighborhood, including three in my yard, that I suspect came from someone who planted the first and shared the babies, probably generations ago.
And then there are the bilbergia pyramidalis broms that several yards have. When I was new in the neighborhood, someone left a bunch on my front step. I don't know who, but it was clearly a welcoming gesture, and maybe a test - is she someone who will love these like we do? I do.
Are there plants that you can spot all over your neighborhood and recognize as the results of neighborly plant sharing? To me, this is the best kind of gardening, and of neighboring. Here is something that worked well for me and you live next to me, with the same conditions I have. Why don't you try it? I like living like that.
(I also enjoy all my friends here who trade seeds with me so we can try new things, even if we aren't physical neighbors.)
Susannah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neighborhood history gardening

And I should say that some folks here have given me plants I'm populating the 'hood with. Kristi's Jacob's Coat is working its way around the neighborhood. Cuban oregano is a popular herb in my hood thanks to someone. And I was once given too many Queen Emma crinums for my space, so they're out in the neighborhood. Though I have been given some gingers and a lobster claw heliconia, I haven't had enough luck with them to share them yet.
And Ginnybee gave me a plant I can't remember the name of, but it looks like a hibiscus with purple leaves - false hibiscus or something like that. It's very pretty, an annual, even though it gets really big, and has made babies, some of which are destined for my neighbors' yards

o

How did I miss this post?
My bromeliads are growing next door. They even love my rosette sanseveria. Oh and the white plumie. If the grandmother liked something in my yard, I was more than happy to share. It's been a win/win!
I have broms growing from another neighbor in my yard. She has my variegated pineapple in hers. I did make a swap with the house on the corner. He put in new outside lights for me and I planted an area on the side of his house. One of those false roselles hibiscus sprung up and it's very pretty.
Thanks for posting N&V!

o

i "farm out" as many plants as i can to friends and neighbors. if you lose one you hopefully can go get some cuttings from them....win/win.....

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 6:07

W. that is so true. I shared my pudica with a neighbor, then mine died from the two winter's frost, and the neighbor gave me a cutting back. That a win/win for sure. :o)

o

I wish I had a neighbor to trade with. Moving more often than I like has stifled that part of my personality, lol. But there's a neighbor next to us who is landscaping around his pool with most anything I can share with him, so that's good for him, and the neighborhood, not to mention the wildlife having food and cover where once there was nothing more than a cement hole with cement walkway all around, lol. I just need to venture outside the privacy fence and meet the neighbors, rather than hiding behind it, doing my gardening thang, lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here