Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpetegardener

Promised Pics of the garden

stpetegardener
11 years ago

I can't tell yall how much it meant to me meeting everyone, enjoying the food & plant swap. Here are some photos of what's happening in the garden right now.

Sorry that the pictures are so large~~ getting them on here is the extent of my abilities~

The MYSTERIOUS problem that's shriveling my pepper leaves...

Comments (13)

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Wow, lots of work there. Looks really good!

Darren

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Derek!

I was hoping you show up! We were so happy to meet you and Aaron, we like you guys very much. Cheryl even told me that she wants to go visit with Ivan one of these days.:)

Now, talking about the garden, it looks so promising! like a mini farm, you have to post pictures when you start harvesting and cooking.:)

Today I was thinking about you...when I harvested the Musica beans, the long ones, remember? I had 4 bags full of beans, they are so delicious!

Did you see my hot peppers under the papaya? I cut all the leaves that looked damaged and now they are getting new growth, the ones that I had under the roses look good but they are also new this season...

I will be looking for updates on your garden and you guys have to come to the next garden party. Promise? lol

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Wow Derek
    That's amazing, there! So many babies in one place. You must've had every single seed germinate. Good job!

I'm so glad I got to meet you and Aaron. Can't wait to see the follow-ups on the farm, like Sylvia says. And learn some tips from your experiences in this adventure.

Love ya
    Susie

• derbyka
    11 years ago

I used to get that problem with the peppers I grew in containers. The solution was either bone meal or epsom salts, I can't remember which. But, I read to apply as soon as the leaves started looking like that - slightly rumply

• klflorida
    11 years ago

Looking good!

• stpetegardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, retiredfl, & kltampa :)

Derbyka, thanks for the advice~~ I sprayed with epsom salts and did an aphid spray (dish soap, garlic oil). Crossing my fingers~

Susie ~ thanks for the love, we had a blast ; ) I'll keep my eye out for your posts

Silvia~ we like you guys very much too : ) Cheryl & Ivan are more than welcome, we will have play host and make some yummy food. Its exciting having all this food growing around, I will remember to take photos of my better recipes. And there's no doubt, we'll be at your next party~~

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    11 years ago

Derek ~ Nice looking garden. I have a fondness for Swiss chard too. Yours look great. What is the second to last picture?

Christine

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Christine, it's monarda punctata, spotted bee balm. I was just scrolling down to ask Derek how he propagates it.

Do you buy seeds, Derek? We used to have huge patches of this growing wild on the island till the county decided grass was preferable to all native vegetation, even in the preserve areas, and I'd love to put some in for all the critters that don't have access to it anymore.

I'm wildly envious of your work area, incidentally.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Derek!

Thank you for such a beautiful card! It answer a question about the plant too.:)
    You guys are very busy with all those seedlings, good for you! we all have to try to eat healthy and nothing is better than our own grown food.
    We will be so happy to see you at our next party!

Silvia

• stpetegardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Writersblock, thank you very much. The beebalm in question I got from a native plant nursery (twigs & leaves), though I have planted some from seed, two have germinated, haha. I'll make a post if it ends up surviving to flower.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Looking good Derek, strong work! Gee that bamboo looks familiar ;-) I have a LOT of thrip problems here with the sweet peppers, I hope that's not what you have because thrips are extremely difficult to control....

Tom

• stpetegardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Tom~ I've been using your bamboo for everything! Tomatoes are about 4 ft tall and climbing. Unfortunately you're right about the thrips, I did some research and that's what I got. I've already been doing aphid & leaf miner sprays.. about to start a caterpillar spray.. the joys of gardening right? Anyway, are you using any technique to help the problem?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks, Derek.