Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

wild windstorm last night

hester_2009
12 years ago

Anyone have any damage from the wind?

I woke up to two arbors on the ground - one with a huge passionflower vine and the other with a brazilian night shade. Of course , I had been too lazy to dig holes and fill with cement, so I can only blame myself. I think the vines will survive and I rushed up to HD to get cement and will do the job properly in the morning.

The wind also picked up my heavy thunbergia on the east side of the fence and turned it completely upside down! Trying to push it back up was impossible, so I guess that's getting cut back tomorrow too.

In addition, lots of branches down and broken plants. I spent the day tying up things with rope - those of you who think my garden is swell, ought to see it now!! lol

But the good news is that we got some much needed rain.

So how come no one forecast 45 mph winds in my area?

Not that it would have made any difference, I guess.

The joys of tropical gardening...but , hey, I love it, really.

Hester

Comments (11)

• akaj9
    12 years ago

eeeeekkkkk....thats terrible, you had lots of work today...at least with my mess....I just sat back and watched...if it makes ya feel any better...my koi pond merged with the flood...and though none swam away...unsure how they will fair with pollutants:( But I'm with ya...I do love it...can't stand not to keep at it! And look forward to what natures pruning and surprises will bring us....

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

Half of my good avocado tree bent over in the wind. I can't see any separation, or break, so I bungee corded it back together. We'll wait and see. I also had some small plants damaged that had just been planted in the Earth Boxes, but I think they'll recover or can easily be replaced.

Carol B. in Sarasota

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hi Hester,

Sounds like you got the worst of it. I know you won't stop until it's all perfect and lovely again and that will probably be in a couple of days! We filled three trash cans with fallen branches, moss and a few casualties from the wind. I had to put rhizome clips on many plants to get them to stay upright. It's all part of the job I guess, but it sure is upsetting. We only got a half an inch after all that wind. I would have liked a bit more. Guess I should be grateful for what we did get.

Anna

• scents_from_heaven
    12 years ago

Want some of the ten inches we got? I will send some to you. Sure hope your plants recover and that the Koi are okay. Good luck, guys, Linda

• tryinginfla9b
    12 years ago

Just goes to show how Florida weather is so unpredictable, I'm in North Port 20 miles south of Sarasota, and we didn't have hardly any wind at all. I got 1" of rain Saturday and .5" today (Sunday), with nothing more than a little breeze.

Sorry to hear about the damage, hope everything makes it.
    The fall season is just about starting. I'm wishing you all a great growing season!

• KaraLynn
    12 years ago

We didn't have a lot of wind where I am but we had plenty of rain! Which isn't a bad thing as my pond was starting to get a little low and the plants could use it. The down side is that I didn't get to do anything outside at all and the plants along my front sidewalk really need to be trimmed back again!

When I got to work this morning I was amazed to see the drainage ditches at CFCC near I75 were almost completely full! These ditches are probably 7 feet deep and between the two of them probably cover a 1/2 acre. There was also some tree damage on the campus. Then right across the street at the end of my works parking lot there's another, somewhat smaller, ditch that is also almost full. And we have a 70% chance of rain today as well!

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

LOTS of big wind and flooding in my yard. Did I prepare for ANY of this? Not in the slightest...I really had no idea before it was too late. We had well over 12" and probably more like 18, seriously! The pool was pumped three times...streets were flooded and the backyard looked like a lake. There is carnage in the backyard...I've only looked. any pots, etc are over...branches down...broken plants...trellises lying on the ground.... So, this wasn't a tropical storm, eh?? ...but, there is no better place than right here!

• zzackey
    12 years ago

It was a nor'easter here. We had alot of wind and 1" of rain. Two pepper plants needed to be restaked. No damage. Tornado watch just expired. Thankful it wasn't worse. Sorry to hear about all of the rain and damage some of you got.

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

We had 1.25" but it rained all day, just not very hard at all but is welcome. Had a little wind but nothing over 25 mph I would guess.

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

Yeah our wind was not that bad, which is good since we were camping out in tents!! Some of the gusts were really wild though!

• User
    12 years ago

yards trashed again.....dump run tomorrow. these big water/laurel oaks just rained down branches and moss. i hate moss....sending it all to dirty martini...stuff is so water logged it just crushes everything...next two days off, will be back in shape by thurs......

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional