Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 17:25

This is what they created for me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why I Keep Worms

And here's a few of my little hard-workers

o

That looks great. We found plans a few years ago to build vermicompost bins beneath a few of our rabbit hutches. We get lot of good compost that way.
SJN

o

Ya have to love worms. They are super easy to keep happy and as your pictures show the bennies are great!

o

Hey Robin!
I'm really new at this and I'm wondering how best to use my compost.

Right now I am experimenting with seed-starting and rooting in 100% vermicompost. Have you ever done that?

And I'm adding it to my amaryllis seedlings to see if they'll grow faster.

How lucky, SJN, to be able to have rabbit hutches for composting!

Susie

o

I can't say from experience, but I would suggest at least cutting the vermicompost with something else for seed starting. Too much nitrogen can burn out seedlings. What I usually do is put a mix of compost (not vermicompost) and sand in the bottom of a starting pot and a layer about an inch thick of peat or sphagnum on top. This way the seed starts in a some what neutral territory and finds the higher nutrients as it grows.

o

Thanks! Great idea.

I have a nice tomato plant that started in the worm bin and is lush and thick-stemmed. I figured the vermicompost is the reason it bloomed and made a cute li'l tomato so quickly.

o

Hi
I started a compost bin last Jan mainly ,as a place to put the endless supply of trimmings . Was thinking of adding earthworms but find it's crawling with them anywaylol
Surprises me as I put down weedblock as a base and it's above ground . So far have NOT created a seed bed except for alocasias. they are sprouting all over as well as sunflowers but those are planted by the blue jays Another surprise is that it's NOt an ant haven at least so far lol gary

o

Hi Susie! No I never used my compost like that. It is such a great product that can stretch such a long way. I do like to put some on my veggies when I plant them out and feel like it gives them a great start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here