Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

The fastest six hours of my life

fawnridge (Ricky)
15 years ago

Whew! I can't believe it happened so quickly. Thanks, everyone, for coming and spending a gorgeous Sunday in our garden. Of course, all the plants are in the ground and BromoHo Hill looks nice and full. I'll shoot a picture tomorrow.

These were taken by Karen, who is fast asleep on the couch.

Comments (17)

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Thanks Ricky. I had a great time, and came home with way more than I bargained for, while giving away everything in my extras boxes but that last century plant :) I'm afraid I'll owe some tomato plants next year, somehow I managed to grab the wrong ones for greenacres Michelle, but I'll make it up next year. I'm so glad I came! Next post will be for advice on a couple things I'm not sure what to do with. What fun!

susannah

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Yes , thanks :)

Did the weather cooperated or what ! Beautiful day.........

Nice to put faces with the names of the new people.

No one left empty handed , including me . Food was great.

Thanks to everyone who gave me plants. I don't think I can go to one of the swaps

without being offered something new. :)

D`Ann

• leelee_2008
    15 years ago

sorry I couldn't stay for longer but I had a great time, thanks to everyone who shared their plants, after feeding my bunch, I spent the past 2 hours potting up all my plants. Will eventually post pics of my pot ghetto.

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Great Time, thanks for hosting it AGAIN Ricky !

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

if you point at Cindee's headgear it says "photobucket" which I find very funny.(I must have sun stroke)

Thank-you again Ricky and Karen for another great time. Yes it did go by fast but we got to meet alot of new faces this time around. We missed all of you who couldn't be there tho and hope to see you soon.
    You guys are the best!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Oh My my my...this old Photobucket body was sure tired when it dragged through the door over here in Fort Myers. What a fab time!! Ricky, it went by so fast because that is how you and Karen MOVE!! Like rabbits! I was going to eliminate most of the shots of you and Karen in the kitchen as I tried to get a pic of you guys preparing foods of the Gods, but decided to leave them all in....I looked at my timer and the kitchen photo antics took place in less than 30 secs! What a wonderful time I had and so great to meet new people and hug all my old buddies...'specially the GUYS and you know who you are......SMOOCHES for all of you helping me, even tho my hips swiveled on their own this time!
    Please also check out my tribute to Kristi's gardens too. A more peaceful pace for me the day before that ma=de me so appreciate my friend and her love of nature. And Now...Here's the short slideshow I managed to put together, even tho I am a bucket head and bone tired! LOL!!! Love ya all!! (open in full screen for best viewing)

Here is a link that might be useful: THE SWAP!!!

• butterflygardener
    15 years ago

I had too much fun! Ricky and Karen sure know how to throw a bash! Always the perfect hosts!
    I need to be in Ft Lauderdale at 10am (what was I thinking?) I am beat and can bearly walk!
    Thanks and Goodnight all!
    Kat

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Thank you for hosting the "Plant Super Bowl" Ricky and Karen, and for that mavelous pulled pork and Rubber Plant 101.

It was so great meeting everyone.

Thanks for the wonderful new plants! Wow!

I'll be singing a horrid rendition of "I had the time of my life" in the shower tomorrow morning.

David, those stuffed grapeleaves were superb. Tony, so nice to meet you and Mary Ann. I can't continue this because I'll just go on and on, and it's definitely time to crawl in bed!

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Ricky, Karen, and fellow Gardeners,

You made my first 'swap-a-que' a fun and memorable experience. My mom and I both thoroughly enjoyed everything about it, especially meeting all the great folks on this website. It was nice to be able to see real live people behind the usernames on here.

Thanks again for the great food and thanks to all who swapped or just gave me some plants.

Hope to see you all again next time and hope to bring extra plants to swap next time.

Sheri :-)

P.S. already have several plants in the ground and in containers, including two of the tomatoes.

• Randy Ritchie
    15 years ago

Thank you again, Ricky, and your lovely wife too! Karen's smile sure lights up the room!

I totally enjoyed everything and everybody. Yummy barbecue, great fellowship, beautiful plants, and your garden tour, all made it a memorable day for all. Loved coming home to the photos already up on this site too!

Randy

• shellfreak
    15 years ago

Thank you Ricky and Karen. We had a blast & it was so nice to meet everyone. You couldn't have picked a better day.

My husband loved the Garden Hoe buttons!

Kat- thanks so much for the info on attracting birds. We are looking forward to seeing your cottage garden soon. I'll email you to set up something.

Coffeemom- you were soooooo generous with your plants. The purple firespike is awesome!

I look forward to the next swap.

• sillybugs
    15 years ago

It was great to see everyone again!
    thanks for the plants,food and fun :)

Cindeea- your naughty teaching the new people how to dump plants and run at the end of the day tisk tisk LOL

• cdbinfl
    15 years ago

Thank-you both, Ricky & Karen,

Had a great time as usual, and a perfect day for it. Your gardens look fantastic as always. I always come home inspired.

Cherie

• carmiewest
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Ricky and Karen for another successful swap. You are wonderful hosts and your house and gardens are so inspiring.

As always, it was great to see old friends and meet new members. I always learn so much from you all.

Carmen

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting pictures!! It looks like a great time was had by all. I would love to see names with faces. I do know a couple of you but the rest of you are mysteries.

Ricky your gardens are wonderful and I bet they are a real joy to you and Karen.

Sunday was a gorgeous day weatherwise.

FlowerLady

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

As always, the best host and hostess, the most gorgeous garden, terrific food and great company. Thank you, thank you.
    {{gwi:964015}}
    Marion gets a ride
    {{gwi:964017}}
    Ricky on trash detail
    {{gwi:964019}}
    Carmen is happy to be here
    {{gwi:964021}}
    D'Ann is playing with the plants
    {{gwi:964023}}
    Kristi is trying to avoid the camera.
    Thanks again Karen and Ricky.
    Nancy

• cindeea
    15 years ago

OK before we lose this post...who made that 24 hour salad, again, and can we have the recipe? That was a surprisingly great crunchy treat!

Here's the Cappaccino Frosted Brownies some asked for.
    I use regular Hershey's Double Chocolate Brownie Mix and add walnuts or pecans. For the Frosting (sorry mine was really runny this time)
    FROSTING
    1-0.82 oz General Foods International Cafe Mocha CAppuccino Mix. (Recipe calls for 1 1.16 oz-seemed too strong to me)
    1/4 Cup Hot Milk (I also add 1/4 cup brewed coffee)
    1/2 Cup Softened Butter
    1 Package Powdered Sugar +/- (10 oz pkg)

Disolve instant mocha mix in hot milk(and coffee) stirring to combine. (I use a 2 cup meas cup and a small whisk to disolve completely)Allow to completely cool before proceeding.
    Pour milk mixture into a mixing bowl, add softened butter and beat at Medium Speed w/ elec mixer until well combined.
    Gradually add Powdered sugar while beating at low/med until texture is fluffy and smooth and easily makes small peaks.

I refrig brownies to get perfectly cool before frosting.

In Florida, the humidity seems to break down the frosting easily. You may need to add more powdered sugar. Also I chill frosted brownies until serving. Enjoy!