Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juan_higuita

Purchasing citrus trees

TampaBull
9 years ago

Hi,

Due to citrus greening, is anyone here (Floridians) still buying citrus trees? I would love to grow some new ones, but it pretty much feels like a waste of money and time.

My older trees (just bought a couple of years ago) get psyllids all over which adds to my hestitation.

Comments (7)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    9 years ago

I personally have given up on growing any more citrus trees. Lost a great 20 ft tall Ruby Red grapefruit tree 2 yrs ago, have seen or heard nothing since then to encourage me to plant another. Just my feelings.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I purchased my last Citrus (Dancy tangerine) about a year and a half ago...I have a Satsuma (planted 3 years ago) and a Dwarf Meyer lemon (7 years old ) all are doing well and healthy...I was told it needs frequent fertilizer in smaller dosage to keep healthy...my main issue are Citrus Leaf Miners...it can keep very young trees from growing, stunt them or even decline so I've had to treat my 2 small/young trees and its finally growing now...My Meyer is very short but very wide and is loaded with fruits (finally) after a few years of losing the blooms to Aphids...

Having said this "if" I do lose them to Citrus Greening I will not be replacing them :o(

What used to be pretty low maintenance Fruit trees are now very high maintenance IMHO...

9 years ago

There are citrus trees, and then there are citrus trees. My backyard also has a 9 ft tall thriving Key Lime tree that I planted when I bought this place 6 yrs ago. In fact, it's enjoying it's best year ever, will wind up dropping 500 fruits min.

My neighbor has a Meyer Lemon tree that is also quite healthy, about 7 ft tall and must have 50 + mostly yellow baseball sized fruits hanging from it.

So it all depends on what type of citrus tree you want to plant. If it's an orange, or a sweet grapefruit like the White, Pink or Ruby Red, I would forget about it if I was you, unless UF or someone comes through with a permanent cure, not just a temporary solution that doesn't affect the roots.

However, if it's a Meyer Lemon or a Key Lime you're " in like Flynn " as these type of citrus trees seem unaffected by the greening scourge. Good luck !.

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:24

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Give them some time lol My Key lime was the last to get the disease and the progression has been much slower Neighbors still looks prettty good and is producing
    Time will tell i guess gary

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

In 16+ years I have lost a Key Lime, three different Oranges, a Ruby Red Grapefruit, and two Lemons. Okay, it's not as bad as losing a thousand dollars worth of Koi in that same time, but enough is enough. Just as I'm done wasting money on fish, I'm not planting any more Citrus trees. I have three Publix supermarkets within 5 miles of here. No problem, mon.

9 years ago

Yikes, had no idea the Key Limes were affected by citrus greening as well. Besides my 9 footer, there are 3 more in my park that I know of, and all are healthy. Oh well, will be no problem for me, a single guy does not need 500 Key Limes every year, ( my neighbors and friends politely decline ). Have already started cutting down that thriving but thorny tree,...fridge & freezers are overstocked. That will leave me with no citrus trees of any kind in two more days.
    I agree with both the above comments, am intent on simplifying my life, not complicating it. Will buy my Ruby Reds at Wally's from now on and just concentrate on the mango, banana and papaya trees/plants. Should have no trouble staying busy. ( smile )

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    What a shame?? Not only such useful trees but also quite ornamental . Citrus aroma is one of the best imo.
    I get my citrus from a Spanish market near me Recently had what they call Mexican limes at 15 for a buck,Valencia oranges at 10 for a buck!! Curious as to where they're coming from would hardly seem worth the shipping?? gary

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County