Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20003422

winter in fla.....hate it!

User
11 years ago

first fire, screen room doubled up, heaters ready, a little art work on the plastic might make me feel better 'round january...m

Comments (20)

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I am with you, I don't like it this cold. :o)

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi M

We are all getting ready for the cold, I don't like it either. Nice fire! makes me feel warm already.:)

Silvia

• brute
    11 years ago

Uh, are you folks trying to say you like Florida summers better?
    Well, speaking for myself, I begin to come to life once the first cold fronts arrive. The joy of living comes back once the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes disappear.
    During winter and spring, I hate to come indoors! I'd rather be fishing, hunting, camping, boating, or at least working in the garden all day, rather than hiding in my air-conditioned man cave like I do all summer.
    If I had the money, I'd become a snowbird. They have the right idea!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Just do like I do and say, out loud, "Well, I could be in Michigan..." I instantly feel 10 degrees warmer after saying that.

• dylanduck14
    11 years ago

I prefer summer. Being at the beach in July on a 90-100 degree is my favorite kind of day.

I get cold easily. heck, I can get chilled in the 70s! winter is fun for a change, but I'm sure glad that we don't have much of a winter!

• wildatheart
    11 years ago

I think winter in Florida is the only time that this place is livable. Lol! I've lived here for a total of going on 8 years and cannot wait to leave all because of the weather. I'm with the other poster who says they come to life in weather like this. But then, I spent much of my childhood in Germany and my relatives are all in Austria. I think cold is in my blood.

• dylanduck14
    11 years ago

Wildatheart - I think I'm the opposite, build to handle hot but not cold since I'm a native Floridian lol.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I opened the windows for the first time last night. I loved the wind and the cool, dryer air. This is not cold enough for me. It is still too warm to garden outside.

I hate the summer here and am just starting to feel alive again!

Jane

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

For those who don't like the cold, you won't like the long range weather forecast for Florida during the coming winter.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Guess I've been here to long LOVE the winter lol No more hurricanes ,mosquitoes smaller than sparrows can work outdoors without heat stroke get to yell at children in costumes to get off my lawn!! Won't be long before I get to make fun of neighbors christmas decorations for several weeks AH winter is the most wonderful time of the year!! My frost cloth,infrared heaters ,parksa and bermuda shorts are ready!! gary

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I think it's funny how people are so different about liking the heat or the cold. For me, I work outside all summer long. I like it warmer. But it's nice to know I have a/c to come in to when I need a break.

• wildatheart
    11 years ago

Gryffindor--I am convinced its all in where you're from!

I am LOVING the forecast for winter if it means a cold one!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Here's a different slant: I get about 20 "good hair days" each year when cold DRY air comes in! :)

Carol in Jax

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Carol, good hair days made me laugh. I guess we all have our reasons to like or dislike the weather. :o)

When it gets cold I can't get warm enough. It's not like having a real furnace, these heat pumps only put out cold air, so I don't even bother to put it on. Mostly I cook something in the oven and lite the fireplace, that warms most of the house.

• sis3
    11 years ago

Must confess I love it all! I love to swim in a 90 degree pool in the summer (though admittedly the heat is not so great for my daily run). I love to fling all the doors and windows open as soon as the humidity falls enough (been doing that on and off for weeks now). I love to walk, run, and work outside in this cooler air. I love to leave a restaurant at night to a blast of warm air. I love to live outside year round. I love the thunderstorms with their heavy downpours. Most of all I love the spirits-lifting sunshine we can count on almost every day of the year. I am originally from England, why wouldn't I love the weather here!

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I enjoy the summers but I do admit that my favorite time of year here in florida is in the fall and spring when it is just cool enough to leave the windows open day and night but not so cold that I have to bundle up. The week or so before our temps dropped into the 40s at night was heaven to me and I'm looking forward to it warming up just a little bit. The mid to low 40s at night is just a bit to cold for me to leave the windows open but not cold enough for me to turn the heat on. That won't happen until we drop into the 30s.

• saldut
    11 years ago

Well, I've gotten to the age where I am glad just to get vertical in the morning! LOL! However, I grew up in Miami, then lived in Canada for 20 years before coming back down to the land of sunshine... if it gets too hot here, I remember those months of dreary dark sun-less, slushy snow and thaw, mud-splashed, what passes for weather so much of the winter up there... and when it gets chilly here I remember the same...yuck...we kept our thermostat set at 50 degrees all summer and the heat would come on even in July and August.... never any need for an A/C... don't get me wrong, I loved Canada, but just not the winter..... sally

• mistiaggie
    11 years ago

Hi there, I don't know if anyone here remembers me, I was very active on GW several years ago when we lived in south Florida.

I'm now NW of Houston in a mild-ish climate but I still haven't gotten used to the chillier temperatures than I was used to in 10B in Florida. I left some tropicals out the other night and they were not happy the next morning. Oops!

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Sure, I remember you!! Good to hear from you again. :o)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I'm still getting used to livin gin south Georgia. We were spoiled by living in Vero Beach, Fl for 17 years. It is really windy here in the winter and alot colder than down there. Now days below 80 degrees is uncomfortable for me! I grew up in northern Pa, snow country, go figure! I have the windows open in the summer because I have tinnitus and I can't stand the noise of the window a/c in our single wide. I do really appreciate the lack of humidity, but right now it's too cold at night for me to have the window open. I miss my fresh air!