Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dclegg_gw

variety of blackberry

dclegg_gw
11 years ago

We are in The VIllages. We are removing about 55 ft of sod on the South side of our house and hope to plant blackberries. What is a good variety to plant for our area, and is this the correct time to do this? Thanks

Comments (8)

• whgille
    11 years ago

Remember my blackberries when you came last spring? they are all the way in the back by the fence...
    I planted them a couple of years ago and I got them at one of the big box stores, only 2 the name is Arapaho thornless, I just love the fact that they are thornless, good flavor, produce a lot! I made a fantastic blackberry jam with them! but I also like them fresh.
    After I harvest the purple sweet potatoes, I will be trimming them and also pick a few berries that are still producing.
    For the record, I had few other varieties and their thorns made me take them out, I really don't want to deal with that.:)

Silvia

• thetradition
    11 years ago

The Villages' HOA will let you remove 55' of sod and turn it into a viney, thorny berry patch?

There are many potential varieties you could try, but UF hasn't studied the newer ones enough to make a recommendation.

I'd like to find a couple of the old standard varieties (Oklawaha, Flordagrand, or Brazos) but no one seems to sell them.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs104

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

When is the best time to prune blackberries?

• rainman777
    11 years ago

In southern florida they have two types of blackberries that grow wild that I have seen. One grows in open fields and is highly productive, produces tastless berries (taste like water). The second grows on the forest floor, not very productive or prolific but has great tasting berries. I would like to find a good hybrid between the native variety and a demostic cultivar. The typical University of Arkansas varieties do ok in florida but get a little stressed by the climate. Certainly not as well adapted as the wild varieties. The one I planted seldom produced, didn't grow much and later it died, although I didn't give it any care. I would like to cross that variety (like the navajo etc.) and the native florida variety.

• dclegg_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not planting thorny bushes, thornless and they are mixed in with several shrubs. It has made a very nice looking area. The Villages does not mind as long as it is nice, which it is. Thanks for your concern.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

What variety did you get? Please let us know how they perform for you. Thanks.

• dclegg_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I currently have Natchez planted. They were disease free, high producer over 4-5 weeks and my husband thought they tasted good. I would like to also plant Ouechita which was recommended to me by a retail producer in my area. I was told by them that that variety is the most disease free. I have not tasted them. I believe others did not care for them.

• Organic-Heirloom
    11 years ago

I just ordered some Kiowa blackberries. They are thorny but all the thornless has 400-500 chilling hours required, while Kiowa has 200-300. I'll deal with the thorns with rose gloves.