Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Am I?

a snake? :)

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 18:52

Tinae, he's probably a banded water snake. I've had bunches of them in and around my pond, and they all look a little different, but are very shy and harmless. Looking for toads or lizards no doubt. Pretty.

Anna

o

Funny! :) yes okay, he's a snake. I googled the banded water snake and it lead me to the site below. It is a close likeness. I also found the juvenile racer to be a close likeness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snake IDs

o

definitely harmless. It is hard to tell unless you turn him over but if the bands do not go all the way around (if his underside is brown or grey or black) then some form of watersnake.

o

I found this information on Wikihow.com:

Non-venomous snakes have a spoon-shaped rounded head and venomous snakes will have a more triangular head. This is because of the venom glands (this is less noticeable on the coral snake).

o

I say a juvenile black racer.

o

I say a baby red rat, I have tons of them.
Lori

o

Ewwww

I don't have a clue but I'm glad it's not in my yard!

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 16:24

It IS a juvenile black racer, that's what they look like when small....

o

Wow! I never would have thought a baby black racer looked like that! We had a small diamond back out front this year. Actually saw the rattles. First time I ever saw a live one other than a zoo. Scared the crap out of me. Only saw it the one time. I don't kill snakes anyway. I just go the other way quickly.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 19:13

I'm not really into posting much now but popping in occasionally is therapeutic, here's a blast from the past. Remember to CLIP the postings you want to save regularly; the historical archives are PURGED more frequently than yearly....

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 6:42

Is it too late to change my vote? I think grega and Tom are right and that this critter is a juvenile black racer. Nice link Tom.

Anna

o

Zackey, When I was 6, I was walking in the woods with my grandmother gathering wild herbs and we heard a rattler rattling. She stopped me, told me to stand very still for a minute so he would know we weren't coming closer, then to back up very slowly. When we got far enough away, it stopped rattling. Just thought you'd like to know what to do just in case that rattler comes back. Of course, if you step on him, all bets are off. ;)

o

I went to the Rattlesnake Festival in San Antonio, Pasco Cty. a few weeks ago and went in and saw the show the rattlesnake guy put on. I must say he changed my whole attitude about snakes. Very informative. He says snakes are our friends. Each snake eats a different thing and without them, we'd be overrun by other things. I also found out the the pygmy rattler in my yard was actually a hognose snake. He had all the good ones and the bad ones and held them side by side so you could see the difference.
Now I'm not saying that I like snakes, but I understand them now and will just let them be. Just hope I don't get a rattler in the garden. I had one in the front once, but he tried to cross the road and got run over.
Julie

o

It's a red rat snake. Also called a pine snake. It will get to be 5 or 6 feet. My son raised one and had it for years. They look very similar to a pygmy rattler. You have to check the shape of the head. The rattler has a diamond head and only gets a couple feet long. Baby water bandits look like mocosins. Again, you have to check the shape of the head. I grew up in the wilds of Florida and seen many a snake and having dogs get bitten by them. Our pit got bit so many times by rattlers, he became immune to them.

o
RE: What Am I ?

I'm wrong. It is a baby black racer. The red isn't big enough for a rat snake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here