Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sillybugs_gw

Blueberries from the swap...

sillybugs
15 years ago

Should these be in full sun for the winter, or shade?

i put mine in large pots with lots of peat, not sure what else they will need.

how are you guys potting up?

thanks

-sb

And cindeea if you read this.. did the statue make it home ok? lol

Comments (27)

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

swap or swamp?

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Congrats on your new Blues!

Full sun is best, if possible. Sunshine Blues are evergreen, the other varieties will mostly go naked in winter.

Pine bark, pine bark fines, mixed with Canadian Peat, is the preferred growing medium. Use Azalea (acidic) fertilizer once the plants are established.

Sunshine Blues get to be 3' by 3'. The other vatieties get 6'-10', and are best planted in an ammended raised bed. They like growing under/near pine trees.

Have fun!

Lisa

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I put mine in 3 gallon containers in the 5:1:1 fines/peat/perlite mix and used gypsum as the calcium source. I've got them sitting in the shade for now because those at the container forum keep stating that blueberries prefer cool soil, but I'm like you, waiting for those here with Florida blueberry experience to chime in.... I couldn't make the swap but want to take this opportunity to thank Lisa again for making this possible for us, so, THANKS LISA, YOU ROCK!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Too funny, looks like we were adding responses at the same time, and looks like you're a early bird too ;-) Guess I'll move my babies out into the sun!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Silly Bugs, the naked lady is in her Brom Brothel on the side of the house. I think she likes it there.

So glad to see this info on the berries. I am sooo happy about My Sunshine Blues. I got 3 of them. So Thanks Lisa

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Haven't planted my blueberries in containers as yet and am glad I didn't 'cause we had some torrential rains here a day or so ago which might have really pummeled them since they're so small yet. I read where nitrogen in the form of nitrates shouldn't be applied as it will burn them up. So I had to find more organic materials which I like better anyway. I know they like acidic soil.

Will keep you posted on their progress. Hope to get them in the large pots by Monday.

Any info you can share about blues will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheri :-)

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Thanks for sending the remaining blueberry plants to the Swap. I bought three!

God bless,

Sheri

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi,

Would love to hear how your blueberry bushes are doing and what you are doing to encourage them along. Any with mature plants have berries yet?

Thanks,

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Sheri,

If you have sunshine blue variety, expect them to flower in late may and have fruits approx end of june through july.

I have several mature plants in the ground and the most difficult thing to do is NOT let the small plants bear fruit. It REALLY takes away from their growing energy to produce fruits. You want the plant as big as possible in the shortest time frame.

When I planted my first bunch I allowed all to fruit but one to see how much difference their would be if any. It was AMAZING. Having been there and done that, the greediness to get a few berries from the tiny plant is not worth stressing the plant in my opinion/experience.

Hope you have a bumper crop of berries soon.

BTW, which ones did you choose to grow?

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tony, glad you responded, bro, cuz I know you KNOW Sunshine Blues...remember how long I been wanting them? I got 3 small Sunshine plants finally at Ricky's (THANK AGAIN TO LISA!!!) I put all in a large container for the winter. Nice rich organic soil and loaded with pine bark mulch. They are kept company by your Mulberry near by. I remember you telling us to not allow small plants to fruit. Did you see the small Sunshines at Ricky's? Just wondering how many seasons before fruit age? Can I leave all 3 in the large planter for awhile? There's plenty room for the current small root foundations of the three. About aa 1/2 foot between each plant and another foot of soil below them.

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee,

Yup, I saw the SB's and got a couple myself.

I would say if the plants were allowed to spend their first yr without fruiting you would have a much larger healthier plant. I would pick the flowers and not let them get to the fruiting stage.

The SB only get to be approx 3ft tall and 3ft wide. When I got my first SBs I put them each in a medium sized container, about a half gallon size. Then, once they were well on their way, approx a yr, I moved them into a container which was about a 5 gal capacity and left them there for yrs. Then last yr, I planted them in the ground because with the pool gone, I had more room for plants. They took a hit from the transplant but recovered very well.

I am not sure that having three plants in one container is good or bad. If you think you will be able to separate the plants when you are ready for them, then I guess its fine to do as you did.
    I would say if each were in there own 1/2 gal container they would be fine and it would take a season to have them fill that container with roots.

My guess is, anything will work, it may just be easier to have em in separate pots is all.

Glad you finally were able to get some of em !

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you.

I bought three of the Sunshine Blues. Didn't plant them in the large containers yet (and glad I didn't 'cause we had torrential rains over the past few days and it may have pummeled them).

I have all the good stuff in a large container. Read about a bluebery container mixture on a certain website, purchased most of the ingredients (pinebark, peat moss, potting soil, cow manure, garden sulphur, and azalia fertilizer). Mixed them together in equal portions in a large (probably 10-15 gallon container). Tomorrow morning I'm putting one of the blues in this container. I also bought two 7 gallon containers and am planting the remaining two in them.

I read where nitrogen fertilizer in the form of NITRATES can burn up your plants so I'm obviously, avoiding this. Have you had any experience with using nitrate fertilizer on blues?

So you say it's advisable to pick the blossoms AND any small berries that form when the plants are young? Does this make the plants grow larger faster? Any idea how long it will take for these little guys to grow big and have a nice crop of berries? (I hope we get extra chilly weather here in zone 10 this winter).

Thanks,

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hi Sheri,

I am a big fan of urea free fert but will use azalea fert sparingly on the blueberries out around the drip line in the warmer weather. In order to break down the urea N it requires a soil organism to eat it and then break it down into a usable form the plants use. If its too cold or of the organisms arent out there or sleeping due to temps, it is my understanding that THIS is when the burning occurs.

Orchid fert is urea free because many are planted without soil, therefor no organisms to do the conversion of the urea for the plant, hence the roots burn. Same for using urea in a hydroponic system, no organisms have learned how to swim yet so it is not good to use in hydro either.

I only suggested picking the flowers because ultimately they will become the fruits. The thinking is to allow for more root and plant vigor and THEN allow fruiting but definitely nothing bad will happen if you leave them produce fruit. I know its hard to do, I been there myself.

Sounds like the BB plants found the perfect home at your place. Be sure to take pics and note the progress.

Tony

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Tony,

Oh man, my computer just crashed and I have to type this whole thing over!

Well, here goes. I put my blueberry plants in their permanent homes today in the large containers with all the good homemade planting mix.

I added a small amount of garden sulphur and azalia fertilizer about 7 inches from each plant in a circle and watered it all in well. Glad the fertilizer doesn't have nitrate nitrogen.

I'll try to post pics on here as they mature, and I'll TRY (grinning) to keep from eating any berries from the small plants.

Thanks again for your help and have a GREAT day.

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I am finally potting up my blues from the temporary pots to thier real homes. Should I also add used coffee grounds to the mix? I plan on adding a little Dynamite fert.
    Sharon

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Maybe the absolute BEST THING to do is get a method to measure the pH of the soil so that there is no guessing how much of any acidic material to add.

There are many ways to acidify the soil but only one way to know for sure and that is to either have the soil measured by someone, like the local Ag center or get some kit or maybe even some litmus paper and test it yourself.

Beware though. Many things that are added to the soil, take quite a bit of time to do their magic which alters the pH.

It could take many weeks to get it right.

In any case, the plants will thank you, reward you for getting the soil into their most productive pH range.

• scottrell
    15 years ago

So, does that mean no to the coffee grounds? Should I just stick with the peat and vermiculite? Thanks in advance Tony!
    Sharon

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon,

I was only rambling about pH in general, not directed towards anything you are planning to do, however, maybe your post did kinda get me thinking or wanting to at least share that EVEN an acid loving plant can dislike a soil which is too acidic. This would have to be as bad as a soil being too alkaline.

So, to answer your question about the coffee grounds accurately, my answer would have to be 'I dont know' because I dont know where your pH is at the moment and with time it may get on a trend in the right direction OR it may not be changing the pH at all OR maybe its already perfect etc.

Because we just dont know, we have to find out a way 'TO KNOW' so we can adjust the conditions if needed.

I will say that SunShine Blues are the least finicky of all the blueberries. They are very forgiving of pH.

In order to know what to do or which way to go, we truly need to know where we currently are, right?

Tony

• leelee_2008
    15 years ago

Hey Gals and Guys, My blueberry from the swap is currently flowering. I have it in a 12 in pot, heavily mulched, potting mix and peat moss mixed together, gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Leelee,

Mine have been flowering for over a month. Someone on here, I think 'Tony' recommended pinching off these blooms so that the plant can put more into developing its stems and leaves. I've been pinching off the blooms but they soon flower again. However, I've noticed some growth starting in the stem and leaf department as well.

Happy Gardening,

Sheri

• leelee_2008
    15 years ago

thanks sheri, I'll do that to half of the plant, the kids are really really excited about the blueberries, so I need to make sure I get at least 2 berries off of the bush for them if possible. Of all the plants I brought back from the swap, the blueberries and sugarcane were the ones that got them the most excited. They thought I was "wierd" for going to a plant swap.

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Leelee, just wondering where in zone 10 you live? I'm in East Fort Lauderdale. My blueberry plants are starting to grow a little more now. Still have some blooms which I pick off now and then. I really would like to leave a few on to see if they develop berries. From what I hear they do pretty well in our zone. Mine are the Sunshine variety. How about yours? Two are in 7 gallon containers and 1 is in about a 12 gallon container.

My tomatoes from the swap are LOADED with tomatoes. We've been eating them as they ripen. May have to make SPAGHETTI sauce!

Take care,

Sheri

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

I've been picking berries from my Misty Blues, for about a month. The plants are still in 4" pots!! Tough little plants, to survive my neglect...

The berries are/were delicious!

I bet they will do even better if I ever get them potted up(G).

Lazy Lisa

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Well, I potted my Sunshine Blues up in 3 gallons in Al's pine bark mix with gypsum and put them in the sun. Dang near killed them all. Leaves were turning brown at the outer edges and NO new growth. No yellow leaves so my guess is the soil was too hot rather than too wet. Bare-rooted them, repotted back down to Al's gritty mix in one gallon containers and moved them to morning sun and afternoon shade...pulling off the flowers now and finally have new growth on all of them but they are still small.

My father-in-law put his in the ground with pine fines I gave him and he hits them occasionally with MG and his have gone crazy with new growth! I sure wish I had the room to put mine in the ground. Given the difference in our experiences I'm sure that soil temperature is a factor.

Tom

• leelee_2008
    15 years ago

sheri, I'm west of you, in Sunrise :)

I got a sunshine too, it's in a 12 inch pot. Growing well, I haven't fertilized it yet, I was considering buying some specialty blueberry food found on one of those nursery website for about $8.00 but I think I'll just use the miracle grow instead.

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Hi Leelee,

You know I don't think I'd use the Miracle Gro because I read where you shouldn't use nitrate fertilizers on blueberries.

I bought an 'azalia' fertilizer from a big-box store and it seems to be working fine. It says 'for blueberries' on the package.

Happy gardening. :-)

Sheri

• tomncath
    15 years ago

You know I don't think I'd use the Miracle Gro because I read where you shouldn't use nitrate fertilizers on blueberries.

Sheri is right, most of those in the know state NOT to use MG because the nitrate form of fertilizers can be detrimental to blueberries since they readily absorb the ammonium salts. However, I've seen the local commercial growerÂs state that they use the nitrates almost exclusively, and my visual of my father-in-laws plants vs. mine have me wondering....

If you decide to go forward with MG and you have more than one plant I'd use half the plants as a control and give the other set MG. As long as they are subjected to the same environmental factors you'll soon have your answer.

Tom

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz