Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Up for a caladium??

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 19:32

I have a lovely 'Aaron' caladium that was planted before the rose and the daylily and the clematis, and now I want to get it out of that location because it becomes a huge plant every year. I've tried digging them out, and I never get all of the bulbs, and they come back. Plus the close proximity with the other plants makes digging in the area quite precarious. Does anybody know if Round Up kills caladiums - bulbs and all? I sprayed another one today that needs to come out, so, of course, I could wait and see for myself but I wouldn't know for sure that the bulbs are dead, and besides, I'd rather bug you guys.

Thanks!!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Up for a caladium??

a caldium that big i would share with neighbors....round up is not the solution....

o

Normally, I would agree with you, Wallisadi, but there are a Cotillion rose within two feet, a Souv de la Malmaison rose within three feet, a magnificent Sherry Lane Carr daylily within 18 inches, and a Clematis Princess Diana within one foot of this caladium that has been there three years and must have many large, deep bulbs by now. I have Aarons popping up all over. I need this one out of that spot without damaging four other plants that I don't have four or five of. Round Up is the least damaging solution. I shared a bagful of them from another bed last month, and they're still coming up. I need a minimally invasive method for this one.

Sherry

o

Sherry, why don't you paint the bulb with Roundup and see if you can get rid of it? I wouldn't spray it for fear that it would get on something else, but I'm sure you know that.
Let us know how it goes.

o

Excellent suggestion. Glyphosphate- the active ingredient-
stays within the vascular system of the plant and does not spread to others.
You can safely paint it on during a non-breezy day.
You can buy "Round-Up" like products by Ortho, Scotts and other companies.
Just look for the active ingredient and possibly save money.

o

If you can get to the bulb to paint it with RoundUp, you can just pick it up and drop it in the trashcan! LOL!

o

If you keep pulling the leaves out, the bulb will eventually dry up and die. It can't live without foliage.

o

I looked through all the pics on your blog but didn't see the caladium, sure would like to see such a weedy caladium. Seems like when you see one, you could stick a fork in it and pull/twist it out without causing much disturbance.

o

Great idea, dirtygardener. Why didn't I think of that?

Purpleinopp, a hurried search found these photos of big Aaron.

That's the clematis on the right. Her stem comes up just under the caladium leaf on the right.

Photobucket

From the other side here he is peeking over the rose bush, Souv de la Malmaison. He's a big boy and probably gets to be 3x3 and 3' tall in summer. The leaves are easily 12" long.
Photobucket

You can see a few daylily leaves in the lower left. Apparently, when I planted these, I wasn't aware that plants grow, ya know, and get bigger.

I do have other big Aarons on the blog.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here