Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertupland

Beautyberry Jelly

robertupland
13 years ago

I jsut found out that you can make jelly from the American Beautyberry bush and I have one in my backyard. Some time either this week or next I'm gonna attempt to makes some. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Comments (9)

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

If you don't post again we will assume it was poison
    Tanya

• robertupland
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you really think I would attempt to make something without checking to see if it's poisonous???

And This Year's Award for Unneccessary Snarkiness Goes to..................goldenpond!!!!!!!!!!

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

yes indeed; and suppose to be quite good. I've got more than a dozen around here; and am hoping I can harvest enough berries. On my todo list for this week:

For beautyberry jelly; I would need 1.5 qts of beautyberry added to 2 qt water; boiled for 20 minutes then strained to create an infusion. I would want to use the infusion with the pectin for freezing that has no added sugar. Instead of all that sugar; I would use agave honey and stevia; with a pinch of evaporated cane juice for the sugar crystals.

Beautyberry Jelly
    1 ý qts. Beautyberries
    1 pkg. powdered pectin (like Sure-Jell)
    1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional, to reduce foaming)
    4 ý c. sugar

Cover the berries with water and boil about 20 minutes. Strain juice through a damp jelly bag, cheesecloth, or flour sack towel (what I use) to get 3 cups of juice.

Mix juice and pectin and butter/margarine (if desired) in a pot and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add the sugar and return to a full rolling boil. Boil exactly 2 minutes.

Skim off foam. Pour hot jelly into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put on caps and rings.

Process in boiling water bath canner for 5 minutes, or correct time for altitude.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautyberry Jelly

• User
    13 years ago

Yes, let us know how it comes out. I have been told that they are edible, but that they don't taste good. I've never gotten the nerve to try, we have them all over the place. Maybe all the sugar that is added is what makes it palatable?? It's good to know in case of world-wide starvation, I guess. I've even read that the tips of greenbrier are edible, I hope I never get that hungry, I hate that #$@%&!* vine!

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

That is why I like raising chickens, they turn inedible weeds and grasses, nasty bugs, weed seeds, and table scraps into nice fresh edible eggs and meat that tastes just like chicken-- YUM YUM!!

And yes I do get that hungry for eggs.
    Lou

• robertupland
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita,
    My Nephew and I tried one last night and they didn't taste bad at all. No real strong flavor but it was slightly sweet.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

Interesting & enterprising idea - too bad goldenpond's 1st comment offended robertupland - it made me chuckle = J

I have 3 giant sea grape trees in front of my house & I've often thought about making jelly or juice from them - & they taste really good too...

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I read that the Beauty Berry is supposed to be okay for people to eat as jelly and is also food for whitetail deer and bobwhite quail as well as other birds. I have been giving some to my chickens because there is a huge shrub next to thier pen. They eat them but don't seem crazy about them. I would love to hear about how the jelly comes out and what it tastes like. I have been thinking about making honeysuckle jelly...

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Project complete. Yummy.

I modified the recipe, used blue agave honey and organic evaporated cane juice instead of regular sugar. Came out quite good. I has some leftover juice, so I made a batch of italian ice; that was super goodness.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Making of the Beautyberry Jelly

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals