Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

stephanotis or confederate jasmine?

I've finally gotten all the summer's mess whacked back and am getting ready to replant the beds on my patio. I have room for a couple of vines on the fence, and I definitely want some kind of passiflora, but I'd also like either confederate jasmine or stephanotis. I do live very near the ocean (Hutchinson Island), but confederate jasmine loves this area--don't know about the stephanotis.

Is one a clear winner over the other for a location like this? It's very sheltered (fenced all round) so salt isn't a big problem. I have the impression that stephanotis blooms more often than the jasmine, but I freely admit I could be wrong about that. Looking for fragrance, butterfly nectar/host plant.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

I have not had much luck with stephanotis, it's hardly grown in 4 or 5 years and never bloomed for me. I don't know why it's not happy. I have several jasmines and they bloom almost non stop, but they are a viney bush, not a true vine, but could be trained to be a vine. You would need strong support as these are woody stems. There are several true jasmine vines, but I think they only bloom once a year. :o)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I bought my very first Stephanotis this Feb. so I am no expert by any means, but its grown very well for me so far...I've only had two blooms, but hoping when the weather cools off I will get more, if not hopefully next Spring? It is a very pretty plant...leaves are nice and green. I've had a Jasmine that froze last winter. Mine is potted and I will have to bring it inside when the temps get below 40°. I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either one? Good luck!

{{gwi:966160}}

• annafl
    14 years ago

I had stephanotis for 3 years before I pulled it out. It just survived, not thrived. Bloomed very little for me. I had it in mostly shade, though. The blooms were so few, you just had to stick your nose in them to smell them.

Confederate jasmine should do well in your area and the fragrance is heavenly for 4-6 weeks. You have to prune it at least a couple of times a year to keep it in check.

If you like fragrance, you might also consider rangoon creeper. Heavenly fragrance, pretty flowers. Does drop a lot of leaves in cold weather, but comes back in the spring.

Anna

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Hmm, if you have trouble in PSL, that's thought-provoking, katkin.

Beautiful plant, puglvr1!

>you might also consider rangoon creeper.

I did think about it, thanks, but I've heard it's nearly as vicious as bougainvillea to handle?

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

I have rangoon creeper and have no problem with it, it has no thorns. I hard prune it once a year in the winter to keep it on a small arbor. It does sucker at times once it's old enough, but I don't find that a problem, I just weed them out or give to friends. There is a double flowered one that IMO is even nicer then the single. :o)

I just can't seem to find the right spot for the stephanotis, first was too much shade and now I think it's too close to brackish water.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, katkin. I'll have to look for it.

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

In zone 10, my stephanotis is in a pool cage, otherwise full sun all day and does great. I like the pretty glossy leaves, too. When it's in bloom, the fragrance is wafting...you'll be like what is that...oh it's in bloom again, lol! It seems like it's not everblooming, more like a couple times a year. I do love it. I had a variegated one that was even more beautiful but I killed that one off (my own fault with over fertilizing).

I love jasmines too, though they don't seem as pretty out of bloom. As far as the confederate jasmine I don't have that one unless it's the one that climbs the trees around Tallahassee and looks like a weed until it blooms and then the scent is unbelievable.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Gee
    Somebody read my mind lol. Was just going to start a thread on the correct way to grow Steph..My experience seems about like others. Grows and flowers just not very well. Puglvr See your growing in a pot which is where I had the best luck with mine. My last move was into the shadehouse on the east side planted directly in the soil.
    Gets runoff from fert given to orchids but still just limps along lol
    Find it rather disgusting as a nursery near me grows one up the side of the office and it flowers so much it obscures the leaves.several times a year so I know it can be done. I gets dappled shade improved soil,regular water
    . Big deal I've done all that lol.
    Oh well ,If I live long enough maybe I'll find the secret for my yard?? gary

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Gary, I've only had this Steph. for 8 months. I have already repotted it once since to a 10" clay pot. I bought it in a 3 gal nursery pot. Its grown very nicely with lots of beautiful glossy leaves, but I haven't had it long so I'm really not sure how well it will flower for me? Do you remember what time of the year it blooms for that nursery near you? Just wondering when these are suppose to flower here in FL? This is my very first...so I know very little about them, except I saw a picture of it on the net and wanted one,lol...Thanks!