Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yacon - when do you harvest?

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 19:49

So, I took them out of the pots summer before last and put them in the ground. Now I have a section about five feet square and five feet tall. Here in Florida, and bearing in mind I rarely get frost and no freezes, when should I dig them up and re-plant the crowns?

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yacon - when do you harvest?

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 14:37

Hi Tom

You can harvest anytime when the roots are of a good size. I harvested mine a few weeks ago and replanted the crowns and have a new patch going again. They are ready to eat as they are, just use them sliced in a salad like jicama would be used.

photo October2013_003_zps6aeda0f5.jpg

Silvia

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 18:40

Thanks Silvia,

Do you have any pictures of the crowns before you planted them? How deep and how far apart?

Tom

o

Tom - This is my harvest from last year. The pic was taken 12-20-12. I haven't gotten around to harvesting this year. I'm going to harvest smaller amounts at a time in the future. Some tubers went to waste because I couldn't eat and give them away fast enough. They don't have a huge shelf life.

Christine

o

Cleaned yucon tubers.

o

Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 9:13

Tom, I didn't take pictures of the crowns after I harvested them. I planted only 2 about a foot apart because that is the only space I have for them, they are very hardy once established.
I harvested turmeric, it is used in Indian cooking and I really like the flower, it is very pretty! needs shade and it is grown like a ginger, about a foot tall.

photo October2013_008_zps0ec07dc2.jpg

photo September2013_009_zps2a7f48f5.jpg

Silvia

o

Hi Silvia, What a pretty flower. No wonder you like it. When you harvest the turmeric do you dehydrate it and grind it into a powder? Is the fresh turmeric a strong flavor? I presume that it turns everything it cooks in yellow.

Christine

o

Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 8:27

Hi Christine, using fresh turmeric is like using fresh ginger, it is only used a little bit in cooking like annato gives color in cooking, turmeric is also used for medicinal purposes. I have not dehydrate and made it into powder, the bulbs that I harvested probably will give them away, I already have a small patch growing for me and last time I bought dried turmeric in bulk from the oriental store, I also use in pickles. I will probably make zucchini and cucumber pickles today with the harvest...

Silvia

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 17:40

Thanks girls, since it is warm hear year around perhaps I should just harvest a few at a time, as Christine suggest....

o

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 18:05

Hi, all,

Where can I get the crowns? Thanks

o

JCTsai - I sent you an email.

o

Where could I get a small crown so I can start too :)

o

yeli - I sent you an email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here