Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

solar pump help--Lou or anyone?

I've been kind of interested in fooling around with a tower garden and I finally got a very reasonable deal on a second hand one.

The thing is, though, that I don't have an outside outlet in the courtyard where I want to put it, so I was wondering about doing some kind of solar set up rather than having an outlet put in.

The A/C pump that comes with it is a 20 watt, 396 gph pump with a max lift of 6.5 ft. I definitely need something with that lift height or thereabouts, since the tower's about 5 ft tall when it's assembled. TG recommends a 15 minute on/15 off cycle, but there are a lot of variants for that. (The TG works by pumping the nutrient solution to the top of the tower and letting it cascade back down.)

It's my understanding that I would need a panel (20 watt PV, probably), a pump, a charge controller, timer and something like a 7aH battery so it can run at night.

Does that sound right, and can someone suggest a suitable pump? I would definitely need something with an adjustable flow rate and preferably a removable filter for cleaning.

Comments (2)