Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

Need snake ID

laura1
15 years ago

I found this guy in MY HOUSE. He's small like a baby racer would be. He has a white dot where his "ear" should be and two smaller black spots on each side of the white dot. What is he? She?

Comments (12)

• manature
    15 years ago

He's lovely and harmless. I believe this is a Florida crowned snake, but I'm going to double check a few photos just to be sure. I sometimes get them confused with with a brown snake, also harmless, that is very similar.

Just know you have nothing to worry about with this little guy...except stepping on it in the dark and scaring yourself to death! (I've had that happen No fun, even for a snake lover!)

Marcia

• manature
    15 years ago

Okay, after looking at pics of these two similar snakes, I believe it is the Florida brown snake, instead of the crowned snake. It's also called DeKay's brown snake, and the spots along the spine make me think it's that one, instead of my first guess. Here are some piccies for ya, both DeKay's brown snake. What do you think?

• tomncath
    15 years ago

That is one of the neatest snake pictures I've seen posted here, what makes it special to me is the way you caught the light...the shadows give it a really unique perspective...good photo for a wildlife contest!

Tom

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is great. Now that I live in the middle of a subdivison it is cool that I have a snake other than a racer! Marcia the pics look like my guy. How big do they get? Thanks for the id
    Tom: thanks for the photo praise but I got the only shot that I could get! The sun was low and I was in a hurry to get somewhere and lucky that I got a picture at all!!!

During this drama to get the snake out the door I was dealing with the cat trying to get the snake and escapng out the door.

Anyway...way cool! I've got a snake (she sings)

• babalu_aye
    15 years ago

LOL, Laura, I'm content to only find black racers and the occasional ring-necked snake in my garden. I'm sure there must be others around that I don't see, hopefully not any of the baddies though.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Ihave added a limk to the Florida brown snake. They are smakk snakes that are generally 9 - 13 inches. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: brown snake

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Linda.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    15 years ago

The timing of this thread is uncanny. I checked out the new postings this A.M. (this forum is usually my first stop) and read this thread.

Midday I was in the garage potting up new cuttings and saw what I thought was a large worm in the concrete expansion joint. Looked more closely and, remembering the pictures here, recognized my "worm" as a Florida brown snake.

I urged it on its way out of the garage by gently touching the end of its tail with a pencil. It very slowly headed toward the open garage door. Then it decided it didn't care for the pencil and gathered up its little body as if to strike. I backed off but when it seemed reluctant to move out I switched to a broom (my hand proved too close to the pencil to suit me). Eventually the little guy made it to the grass (and I closed the garage door!).

June

• manature
    15 years ago

It does my heart good to see so many gardeners learning not to kill every snake they see! YAY!!! You guys are great for helping the little fellows to safety! Thanks on their behalf!

Marcia

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Marcia, for many of us, you have been the driving force to keep us from killing every snake we see. I wasn't so bad, but Ralph certainly wanted them dead till I made him read things you wrote. Thank you, my friend. You have been an inspiration to us all. ;o)

• manature
    15 years ago

Awwww, that's sweet, Katkin!! I'm SO glad I've helped in any way to protect snakes from the Big Shovel Bash removal method. They fascinate me, that's for sure. And I find them really beautiful, for the most part. I'm always happy to pass on any info that's helpful in easing fears about them.

Marcia

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my yard is a safe haven for snakes but I don't think my neighbors like them...I've found 3 dead ones since we moved here last summer. ;-(

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths