Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcanora_gw

Aphids got to my peppers need ladybugs

tcanora
14 years ago

I should have seen it coming but missed all the signs (ants). Yeah, I'm a total novice gardener who is "book smart" when it comes to gardening but pretty stupid when it comes to actually implementing what I've read.

I have three pepper plants in an EarthBox. They sit on my screened in pool patio. One of the peppers was totally infested with aphids - just a few on the other pepper plants and none on the broccoli in the same box.

I have sprayed with Neem/dish soap combo in the morning and hosed down the plants at the end of the day. Did the same thing again today and will do the same tomorrow as well.

First off, will I get peppers from these plants or should I yank them and start over? If I pull them what are the odds that the soil is not contaminated?

Does anyone know where I can buy ladybugs in the Orlando area?

Thanks in advance.

Tammy

Comments (4)

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

Earlier this year HD had ladybugs in a display by the garden shop checkout. I don't go there often, so I have no idea if they still have them.

• scoville
    14 years ago

Wipe them off with a q-tip,cotton pad,or an old toothbrush.(gently!)
    If you place them outside the cage you will rreceive free ladybugs quickly!

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

This link is about raising peppers in commercial greenhouses - which seems similar to your peppers in the screened in patio . The photos on this link are nice . Wish my peppers looked this good ! I was surprised to find very little information on using ladybugs . This does say to use a parasitic wasp as control of aphids .

I have found parasitic wasps on my peppers - using the large green horn worms as an incubator for their eggs . Highly effective at slowly killing the worm and propagating more predatory wasps naturally .

" Biological control involves the release of living organisms that will limit the abundance of other living organisms. In pepper, melon aphids have been successfully controlled by releasing a parasitic wasp, Aphidius colemani. Twospotted spider mites were controlled by releasing a predatory mite, Neoseiulus californicus. The appearance of lepidopterous pests is greatly reduced by using insect screens on the greenhouse vents. When adult moths are present in the greenhouse, the larval stages can be controlled by repeated treatments with Bacillus thuringiensis. B. thuringiensis can also be applied near the base of the plants to control larvae of fungus gnats. Releases of a parasitic wasp, Eretmocerous eremicus, were used to maintain low populations of silverleaf whitefly. Current research evaluates using predatory mites N. californicus and Neoseiulus cucumeris for the control of broad mites. N. cucumeris and big-eyed bugs, Orius spp., can be used to control western flower thrips."

I know this is quite technical and may not be very helpful . It does show that you can use natural predators commercially and not always have to reach for that chemical insecticide .

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse-Grown Peppers in Florida

• tcanora
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to move the Earthbox outside for a little while to see what happens. I will have to watch the broccoli closely for caterpillars/wormy thingies.

I am pleased that it is still early and hope that my peppers will recover. If not, there's always the Spring...