Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy Giant Cosmos Attacking my Yard(slideshow!)

Posted by goldenpond (V.B.FL 9b) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 21:15

It started with a pack of regular cosmos and a packet of Giant Cosmos. I had no idea HOW GIANT! Last year they put on a nice show and I sprinkled a few seeds around as the flowers finished their show. All summer I watched the Giants foliage get huge. They looked rather ragweedy with Giant trunks so I pulled as many as I could out. Oh my ,not near enough. I guess they love the cooler weather and have taken over. Please view my cosmos and tell me what you think!!!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: CRAZY COSMOS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy Giant Cosmos Attacking my Yard(slideshow!)

They're everywhere, they're everywhere ... but I love 'em. They're so happy and relaxed. And I love that color. I may want to get some - what brand was it. You certainly got good sprouting - looks like oh I don't know 200% of the seeds sprouted? lol.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 6:25

Those certainly give a lot of color for the fall. I love cosmos and they come in many colors and flower shapes. For some reason I didn't grow any this year. I usually have pinks and whites growing as well as those lovely orange ones.

o

how beautiful! I wish I had room for them

o

I almost get the feeling mine have mutated somehow. It seems like every new seed crop that they get taller and taller. But, there are plenty of ones that stay in a 2-3 foot range as well.
Even in a fairly shaded area, I have some that get over my head.

They're one of my favorite annuals. No maintenance except to pull dead plants and the butterflies LOVE them. I have a large area of them, but way in the back yard, so I don't have to worry about them going wild.

o

I love Cosmos. I started with one package of Orange and Yellow Klondikes and Bright Lights about 3 years ago and have had about the same results. They do love the spring and then the fall and will get very tall. I scatter the seeds from the ones that have come up in between the cracks of the stepping stones and in the pots of other flowers. They are really pretty in front of or mixed with the tall purple Mexican Sage or with the shorter red Tropical Sage.

The other colors don't reseed as well and never get as big.

What is so funny to watch is the squirrels trying to climg up the flimsy stalks to eat the flowers, which they love.
they hang on for dear life as it bends towards the ground!

o

Hi, i'm Denise .I'm new to this forum.Your cosmos is beautiful.I have the same cosmos all my yard to.It just keeps comimg up all over it great.

Denise

o

I agree that they seem to get taller each year. The giant ones not the regulars.I actually thought they had mutated and would not have flowers because they grew like Jacks magic beanstalk with no flowers ALL summer long. The stalks got so big I did not have the strength to pull some of them and just chopped them I was surprized when they erupted into blooms overnight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here