Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenpetefl

pomegranates

JenPeteFL
12 years ago

Has anyone had any success with pomegranates? Especially in Central FL.

(I attempted to post this earlier, but don't see it now. Sorry if it goes through twice.)

Comments (5)

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

I am in the first year of my pomegranate experiment. I have about 25 plants in the ground of 15 different varieties. 12 of the varieties came from a University of Florida study. The growth started off slow as I think my PH was a bit too low but now most are growing well though have a couple that are not doing much. For me the variety that is doing the best is called 'Vietnam' the University calls it 'Big yellow'. I grew some of those from seed and they are quite big already.

My plants have had zero insect problems but the deer have been a pest and made it unnecessary at least for now to cage them. Others like Lou and Marcus on the board participated in the study as well and probably others.

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Jen

If you come to the house for the party, remind me to show you my pomegranates. I have a 3 year old seedless variety that is getting huge, had a couple of poms last season. And also have a Nana dwarf that is really so small that I am going to put it in a pot.
    I frequent the u-pick farm near my house and they have a really huge pomegranate tree, he does not know what kind, he cannot sell the fruit to the public because he said that it gets a fungus, he has to pick them while green if he is going to eat it. The tree looks good and healthy and is bigger than any other fruit tree that he has, it is always loaded with fruit when I went to pick persimmons.

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

I have 2 pom trees. A pom wonderful and a Pom tree that was not marked... It currently has 2 poms on it. It is 3 years old and this is the first fruit set. Pom Wonderful flowers 3 times a year or has up until now anyway the other twice a year. What a great show even without the fruit!

Currently the fruit is 2" in diameter so pretty small - the trees are 6' & 8' the pom wonderful was a true bush where the unmarked pom was already trained to tree form and about 2' when I bought it... I think it is a vietnamese but I have no true way to tell.

All this to say Poms grow here and I think this next year will be my first true crop and the following year even better!

Barbie

• JenPeteFL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Silvia, I'll be at your party--can't wait!

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    12 years ago

I have 2 pom trees. One is a Vietnamese and the other "Christina". I bought the Christina from Just Fruits and Exotics a few years ago. It produces full sized fruits. The fruits look the same as the Vietnamese. The seeds are hard and the seed coating color is pale pink/yellow color. In spite of the disadvantages (hard seeds), I am still pleased because at least they produced!

Christine

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner