Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It bloomed!

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 22:19

My Frangipani is blooming! It has a pink and yellow swhirl. I was surprised. I though they had to be alot bigger to flower. No fragrance. I have kinda neglected it this summer because of my shoulder problem . It hasn't gotten it's normal watering that I usually give it every year. It is under a roof. It has gotten some rain water if the wind blows it in. I 'm wondering if it is blooming because I neglected it, or is this how they want to be treated? Sorry no photo, My photo manager is acting up.

and almost everythingets rain water from our very wet summer. This plant is in the greenhouse that still has the roof left on it. It got watered a few times by me or when the wind blew the rain in the greenhouse. All the sides are down on the greenhouse. feet tall pot and all. It first bloom is a pink and yellow swirl combination. It has no fragrance. Do they only have fragrance early in the morning? Any growing tips would be appreciated. It is just a single stem now. I leave it in a slightly heated green house for the winter. We only run the heat if necessary. I want to get away from using the greenhouse as just an area for my plants to winter over and save it to use as a seed starter house with heat instead. Can I bring the Frangipani into my bright and humid bathroom where I have happy orchids and other plants growing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It bloomed!

Congrats! Once it blooms, it branches. That's the good news. Here in S. Florida the plumies go dormant for the winter meaning they drop all their leaves and look like sticks. So you could keep it in the bathroom but it's not necessary.

o
Congrats!

Noticing your post was @ night? If so, check for fragrance during daylight hours - you may be rewarded.....

o

We get lots of frosts and some freezes here. I don't think it will survive outside here.

o

They can survive a freeze, but will not bloom on new growth so you will prob want to keep it somewhere above freezing, if you keep it in a warm bright bathroom it may not go dormant.

o

I'm wishy washy about heating the greenhouse this winter. We have no idea how much it is costing us. Most plants in there don't cost very much or we got them at a swap. I hate to kill anything, but if it is alot of money to heat them, I'm losing money. I could just buy new ones in the spring. I like to not do it for one year and see what the difference is. Most of the plants can come inside for the winter or find a new home with a friend.

o

Lucky you, my plumerias have 2 modes, sticks or sticks with leaves. I keep them on the patio and try to protect from cold by covering them. They have gotten too heavy for lugging around. Amazing what a stick in a pot weighs!

o

You know you can store your Plumeria bare root? Store in the house or garage and plant in the spring. I dug one up and threw it under an awning and planted that next spring and it lived.

o

I'd rather just keep it in the pot. I've had it for 6 years. I never thought it would bloom for me. Maybe your's will bloom next year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here