Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, please

Posted by alys_esmond 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 22:28

This stinky flowering vine is growing all over the front porch and garden of the home one of my clients is in contract to purchase.
Does anyone know what it is?
It smells kind of somewhere between old feet and ripe drains. (Lovely, I know!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, please

And,
here's the picture!

o

It's a skunk vine. Sorry, don't know how to add a link.

The following from invasive.org

Overview
Skunk vine is a perennial, climbing or trailing vine that can grow to 30 ft. (9.1 m) long. Plants originate from a woody root-stock and can invade natural and disturbed areas of Hawaii and the southeastern United States. The opposite leaves are up to 4.5 in. (11.4 cm) long, lance-shaped, often lobed at the base, and on petioles up to 2.5 in. (6.4 cm) long. The stems and leaves have a strong, unpleasant odor when crushed, giving this plant its name. Flowering occurs in late summer to fall, when small, pink or lilac flowers occur in clusters, either terminally or in leaf axils. Fruit are nearly-round, shiny, brown and up to 0.3 in. (0.7 cm) wide. Skunk vine has the potential to invade a large variety of disturbed and high quality habitats. Currently, it is widespread in Florida and in small areas of other southeastern states and Hawaii. Trailing infestations can completely cover and kill low-growing plants and small shrubs. Climbing infestations can strangle even large trees and restrict light availability to species below. Skunk vine is native to Asia and was first introduced into the United States before 1897 as a potential fiber plant.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 10:26

It is considered a class 1 invasive in Fl and they need to do what ever it takes to get rid of it. Round Up's brush killer should do the trick. :o)

o

well it certainly is the kind of weed that encourages one to want to eradicate it!

I wonder if it still stinks once it's been round-upped?

Alys

o

I have mine in a pot and think it's one of the prettiest vines I grow, albeit smelly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here