Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake in the Oleander - Friend or Foe?

Posted by LucyKharma Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 22:32

I spotted this fellow in the Oleander tonight. I've not seen this type of snake before and I was curious if anyone could tell me if it's a friendly or dangerous snake.

I apologize for the pic - it was taken just a few minutes ago so it's night out. The flash is a little bright. But it's the best of the bunch.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake in the Oleander - Friend or Foe?

I'm certainly no expert so don't take my word on it but...

Eastern Corn Snake?

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/Pantherophisguttatus.htm

o

• Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 3:41

Corn Snake.
Friend.

o

You lucky duck! You have a corn snake! I would love to have one of these in my yard. They are great for rodent control and aren't overly aggressive as far as wild snakes go. Definitely a friend.

Edit: To clarify, none of our snakes are 'aggressive' in the way that they will actively come after you. Some are more prone to lashing out and trying to bite when handled than others though. Black Racers, for example, are completely harmless and will run (or slither) if given the chance, but if handled a wild Black Racer will repeatedly try to bite you to get away. Corn Snakes, in my experience, are not very likely to try to bite you. It could still happen though.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 8:03

o

Good deal.

Thanks for the heads up. The little fellow (fellow-ette?) is gone this morning, but if they eat things like cuban tree frogs they are more than welcome in my yard.

o

All snakes are friends!

o

Yes, they ALL are a gardener's best friend!

o

Well...snakes do eat birds. I garden heavily for hummingbirds and corn snakes will take them if they get a chance. I also have a purple martin house and corn snakes will get in them if given the opportunity. I have a baffle on the pole and it discourages most snakes, but I had one that made it to the house and just about wiped out all the birds.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 8:25

I would love to see that snake in my garden!

o

Oh, Tom, I am a purple martin lover, too. I am so sorry to hear about your birds. I hope your colony will/has reestablished. I burst into tears one year when I saw a hawk swoop in and claw a bird right off the house. I'm sure the neighbors thought I had lost my marbles.

Carol in Jacksonville

photo IMG_0636Large.jpg

o

Very nice house you have, Carol. Do you have a baffle for the snakes? Mine is much smaller. I had four nesting couples last year, I believe. I seem to be getting fewer and fewer each year. About five years ago I also put up owl guards--wiring in front of the openings that make it difficult to impossible for owls to reach into the house and grab them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here