Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my sweet potatoes?

Posted by gardengimp 9B Seminole Cnty FL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 22:55

And what impact does it have on storage and on the next crop in this bed? Best I can figure from consulting MG Google, the pest is either white grubs or cutworms. Oh, and there are bugs. Go figure ....

TIA,

~dianne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my sweet potatoes?

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 8:23

Hi Dianne

It looks to me like it might be mole damage, we have those around. The safest way to go is to peel and cut the bad parts, and cook it to be used in meals or freeze.
I only save the ones that look blemish free to make slips for spring or eat later.
Dianne, hopefully for the next spring party I will have a lot of slips to share with others including the big one, colorette that I got from Echo.
And remember the apples in the front yard? One is Thomas Jefferson favorite heirloom apple and the tall one close to the garage is a Pink Lady apple and I let it fruit 2 apples this year and they were good!

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here