Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtycoconuts

Can you grow berries in zone 10b

dirtycoconuts
11 years ago

I always thought berries were more of an up north thing but I saw some at Home Depot the other day.

Will they grow an thrive here? Can berries be grown in a container?

Comments (10)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

The big box stores commonly sell fruiting plants that will not survive here and if they do would not fruit. They also like to sell northern grapes which would die here to Pierces disease.

Some berries would grow for you.you could try Mysore Black Raspberries. They are VERY thorny. You could also try sunshine blue blueberries but you will probably not get a great fruit set. Perhaps Coffeemom will see this and chime in, I know she was trying a blueberry experiment.

• sbrowning76
    11 years ago

I recently planted Mysore black raspberries and Natchez blackberries. Both came from Excalibur Fruit trees, and they assure me they will fruit in 9b. I also heard Barbados Cherry is good to plant here, but I haven't tried them yet.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I grow strawberries as a winter crop. Tough part is getting them through the summer.. Three of "Ozark beauty"
    made it this summer but haven't added more as yet.
    I grow them in a strawberry jar so I can get them out of direct sun in summer. Though have not cornered the market lol
    Does make a very attractive planter lol gary

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Yes, strawberries for sure. I'm old enough to remember when US 1 from just a bit south of the Serpentarium was strawberries on both sides of the road all the way through Homestead to where the mangroves started, back when that was the only way to get to the Keys.

• m5allen
    11 years ago

Another option for blackberries is Sawtooth. It is a Florida native. It is thorny as heck, but it is extremely hardy and easy to maintain, and it produces quality berries.

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome gang! Thanks for the feedback. Strawberries are a great idea. I remember all the Upick farms back in the day too. Anyone have any good experience with strawberries In a container?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Yes, I used to grow them in a hanging basket when I lived in Miami. They weren't as productive as they would have been in the ground, but I had fewer pest problems. Whitefly was a lot more annoying that way, though.

• saldut
    11 years ago

Mulberries! so delish, and birds love 'em also, and has almost no problems or pests.... the Barbados cherry is very good and makes a good hedge plant...there are red also black ones, the black is usually sweeter...maybe it is a different variety, a tropical fruit Nursery could help....sally

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sally. I really should have been a lot more specific. I actually have one of both of those great trees you mentioned! Mulberries are amazing. My cherry is years away hahaha

I was asking initially about blueberries, cranberries, raspberries blackberries, boisenberries

I've been looking into strawberries now