Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Sea Grape

Posted by watermelon7 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 22:59

I heard you can propagate sea grapes nearly as easily as plants like Gumbo Limbo by just sticking the in dirt. Is that true? Any sea grape propagation tips? I would rather go without rooting hormones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Sea Grape

Sea Grape - Coccoloba uvifera - is a Florida native and will propagate very easily. Let the seeds dry out and then plant them their own depth in soil. If you don't want to wait, visit a local park and look for seedlings under a mature tree.

o

Any where you see a sea grape, you will see a gazillion seedlings. I have 2 sea grapes and believe me, I would not purposely plant them. Mine are old trees from when the house was built.

The grapes are messy, they stink, it's a pain in the butt to walk through them, the iguanas love them and crap the seeds everywhere, the seedlings pop up everywhere.....

o

How about from cuttings? Will they produce the grapes it I have two cuttings, from the same tree, of will I need each from a different plant, genetically?

o

Why bother with cuttings? The seeds will germinate faster than cuttings will form roots. And no, you don't need two different plants to get grapes. By the way, the grapes are edible. Although, they taste just this side of styrofoam.

o

How long does it take to mature, if you grow them from seeds?

o

Mature to what? A 20' tree or a seedling? I've seen them grow several feet in a year, but that depends on their environment.

o

Mature to growing edible, normal sized, fruit.

o

For most of us, edible will never happen. However, they will usually start producing grapes anywhere from 2 to 3 years from seedlings.

o

I love my seagrapes! & yes! I agree seeds are the easiest way to propagate them.Look for seedlings & carefully dig them up & pot them.

The fruit is VERY yummy, tho very thin-fleshed - & problematically, the fruits fall off when fully ripe(dark, plump & soft)
& they ripen individually, so it's difficult to harvest any significant number @ 1 time = (

However, I've been grazing on mine lately (what I can reach)
& I probly look like a nutcase to passersby = J

& those pesky fallen fruits don't sprout very much if you let the fallen leaves remain in place.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: SeaGrape @ Floridata.com

o

Sea grapes make wonderful jelly and jam. I don't much like them right off the bush either.

They will probably take about 2-3 years to have fruit when grown from a cutting of a mature plant. Hope that answers your questions.

o

This is a gravel area around my tool shed. Of course, you can't see much of the gravel because of the sea grapes....

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here