Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scents_from_heaven

I'm back with a new passion

scents_from_heaven
10 years ago

If anyone around here has missed me I have had my world turned upside down. All my favorite foods went out the door when I was diadnosed with acute renal failure the early part of August. It has been rough being told I will not be returning to work and will be on dialysis. It is hard making ends meet and most of the time they don;t while waiting on SSDI to respond. We will see what happens but in the meantime I have gone from growing all vatieties of tomatoes to Peppers and Herbs with a few spices. I will be growing all types of peppers from mild to volcano strength and as many herbs as I can along with a limited variety of spices. Of course I could use some help with seeds if you have any to donate or could point me to a good seed source for when funding becomes available. I have missed you and am glad to be back, Linda

Comments (23)

• Tom
    10 years ago

Glad to see you back, Linda. I'm sure it's difficult coping with your situation. Plants help. Hopefully you will be able to continue to grow good-tasting herbs.

Sorry that I don't have any seeds, but I'm sure others will.

Wishing you the best,

Tom

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Of course I have seeds I can send......

Were you able to grow those Spring seedlings this year ?
    ......I still have my Habs and Scotch Bonnets growing.........the Jalapenos are long gone......

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Tom and you have shared so many seed previously. My chili is still going strong as are the jalapenos. Yes I was able to grow the spring seedlings and thank you very much. I am into heat as you know but still use the milder ones in cooking also along with the bells. It is hard to give up tomatoes but that is life. Ilike the new garden space or should we say the more sunny garden space.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    It's good to see you're back here and chipping in to help us again!
    Yes, you were missed.

The only seeds I could send ya are bell pepper seeds - not sure if you need any of those. I don't even know what kind they are. So email me if you want them.

Welcome home.

Love
    Susie

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I am a newer person around here, I have Amaranth and Wild Tomato. I live in Lake Mary and I might not be too far away. I understand how tough things can be. My field is nephrology and I take care of dialysis patients. I am sure you are getting great care, but if there are any questions or concerns I can help you with-please email me.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

HI Linda,

Welcome back and glad to hear you are doing better! I don't grow any vegetables - only flowers - but I have some double purple datura (Devil's trumpet) seeds I could send. If you would like them, please send me an email with your address.

Carol in Jacksonville

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 20:17

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Linda

I am very sorry to hear about your health problems and hope the best for you in the future. Taking care of your diet is a very positive start and growing some of the veggies, will keep you busy and healthier.
    Since I don't know the space and the conditions of your growing area, are there any particular crops that you are interested? I only know that you cannot grow tomatoes and you already have volunteers to send you peppers, how about greens for salads and cooking? are you going to do containers? let me know and send me your address...

Silvia

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Looking at my list again, sorry about the wild tomatoes, I took out my contacts and obviously did not read carefully. I have stuff other than peppers: Amaranth, Cape Gooseberry, Miracle Fruit, and Sweet Apple. The peppers I do have are ornamental. I understand potassium and phosphorus content are important things to consider. Good luck with your garden!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I have lots of different veggies, some herbs and tons of flower seeds. You just need to send me an email of your wants and a SASE. Sorry. We are running low on funds too. I spent too many days this last month at the different doctors or different test sites. I had to quit working in 2005 after I fell and suffered a mild concussion. I can sympathize with you.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doug, thank you for the quick reply and I forgot to say I would like seeds if you can spare them. There is an email headed your way. Many thanks

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcome back, Susie. I am game to try any seeds at the moment and I love mysteries. Thank you and email coming your way.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morningloree, hello and welcome to the GW Florida version. Yes we are fairly close and maybe we can meet somewhere one day to discuss plants and get to know one another. I live behind Sea World but I know where Lake Mary is. Everything you mentioned sounds wonderful and I appreciate whatever you can offer. Sending you an email with my address and phone number.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I found enough postage to mail you some seeds. What are your needs?

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, thank you for the warm welcome and I have missed you. I have good days and bad days but that is the nature of this disease. I WOULD LOVE the double purple datura seeds. I think they are so lovely. I will email you and thanks once again.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, thank you so much Sylvia. I am sorry to have missed your last swap but this has been a bad year as regards health. You are correct about the diet and I was following my heart and diabetes diet to the letter and forgot about too much potassium so there is a chance my kidneys could wake back up in the next four months or so. Tomatoes and Haas avocadoes did me in. I need to keep busy as I sincerely miss work and the people but my cats and working on getting my garden back in shape helps. I have beds in the ground, three raised beds and lots of containers. I have full sun, half day sun and dappled sun. I can grow almost anything as far as conditions go. This is what I can not have or have too often: Green Beans, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Corn, Eggplant, Green Peas, Kale, Summer Squash, Bell Pepper and all peppers, Cucumber, Lettuce, Onion, Radish and all varieties of herbs and spices. I would greatly appreciate anything you can send as I think your garden is fabulous and I am attempting to pattern mine after yours to a certain extent. Thank you so much and there is an email coming your way.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you look at the post I did for Sylvia you will see what veggies I can have and I can use almost any herb seed. I also like flowers. I will send you an email of what I like and would appreciate and you can then respond with your address so I can send you the envelope. I understand beyond the meaning of words about low funds but I trust God and he always seems to come up with exactly what I need. He has blessed me with wonderful friends and garden pals here.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Linda, after I get your address I will mail you some seeds. I am still confused about what veggies can you have, are those the ones on the list?
    I do have some herbs and will look at the flowers to see what I have.
    Sending you good healing thoughts.

Silvia

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Sylvia, those are the vegetabkes I am allowed to eat. I have to eat foods lower in potassium and phosphorus. I sent you an email via here but if you do not receive it I forgot I have your regular email address. Thank you very much. I am going to grow a fig tree as that is a fruit I can have and my pineapple plants have been producing and I am rooting the tops for new plants.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was referred to the hot pepper forum and they are generously sending me some of the very very very hot peppers. Gardeners are such nice people to know. I promise to take pictures of my garden this year once I get it cleaned up so you can see what a good girl I have been with everything all of you have so generously supplied. I hope to be able to share seeds next year.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Doug, I received the seeds today.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol in Jacksonville, thank you so much for the double datura seeds. I will always treasure them and remember you fondly when I look at them. I hope to be able to make it to Jachsonville one day within the next year and would love to see you. You made my day, Linda

• keiki
    10 years ago

Hi Linda! Long time no see. I am sorry to hear of your health issues. I can share some cauliflower seeds, lettuce seeds and a package of sweet corn I bought but never ended up planting. Email me at ladygardener 1 at comcast dot net

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

keiki, it has been a long time. How is your garden doing? I need pictures. Now that I am home I have the time to devote to mine and begin anew with a lot of stuff I lost due to illness and my room-mate not watering things as he should. I lost a lot of my Ricky garden (crotons) due to his neglect. I miss you and all the old gang.

Yes, it is not fun when your kidneys decide to go south but we are hoping they make reawaken within the next four to six months. Either way I am officially on disability and will receive my first check in February. They think everyone can live until they receive it but at least I received mine on the first application. I would appreciate what you have to offer and will send you an email either tonight or in the morning. Having surgery Monday morning and hopefully that will be it for awhile. Nothing major maybe overnight and just will not be able to use my left arm for three weeks. I am not predominately one sided so it is going to be a struggle.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths