Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Alocasia infernalis

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
Wife brought this home and the label said "Black magic" So ipopped it into the marsh garden. immediately went into nose dive .. Found the latin name and found that it's a "dry grower" Repotted ,had no roots at all lol moved it out of the irrigation area and it appeared to have recovered but edges of new leaves are very dry, crinkly. Seems way to dry . Any suggestions on a better media?? I grow all kinds of aroids and these are particular favorites HELP!! lol gary

Comments (6)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hi Gary,

Black Magic (Alocasia infernalis), not to be confused with Colocasia esculenta 'Black Magic', is one of the "Jewel Alocasias", so named by LariAnn Garner, an expert on aroids. This alocasia behaves nothing like most alocasias. It hates both water and sunlight. In most grower's books, it is deemed extremely fussy and difficult. But in the right environment and proper care, it might do fine. I see them regularly at Lowes and have bought several off the clearance rack for $1 (where they always end up), but I have yet to keep any of them alive.

See Lari's excellent article at the top of Google Search I linked below.

Let me know how it goes!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jewel Alocasias - Spotlight on Alocasia infernalis

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I grow several of the jewel type alocasias. They like to be kept dry and warm. You can almost think of them like warm loving orchids that like the water going by but not to sit in it. I keep in a dry mix 1 part jungle growth, 1 part mg potting soil, 1 part perlite in small pots. I let them dry out a bit before re watering. In the winter when it is cooler they will require less water. They won't tolerate a lot of wind, or cold temperatures. I am surprised that yours didn't totally die if it was planted in water lol.

Some seem to take more light than others but I keep them in filtered sunlight on the patio where the afternoon sun streaks through at a slant.

Here is a different variety of Jewel (alocasia rugosa more accurately named A. melo. It has very similar needs.

This is the kind of situation I keep them and some other plants in on the patio where the light is bright but indirect. They are around a little pond and waterfall where the humidity stays high but I keep the pots kinda dry.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    think I'll repot into a mix of fir bark fines and a bit of coir
    Works well on some fussy ground orchids and anthuriums. and a couple of understory palms that gave me fits until i used it. Worth a shot
    came potted in what appeared to me to be glass wool as I could see a weave to it but was very decayed and a two inch pot to boot .lol
    Are the leaves supposed to point up and I assume the leaves are supposed to be solid black??
    Anyway thanks for the info, and link just what I needed yet another fussy plant lol gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hi Gary,

Google Images is a great place to see pictures of any plant. I use it all the time. Not sure if you know how to use it or not, so I linked images of Alocasia infernalis below. (Whenever you search Google Images, you get better results if you use the botanical name.)

The leaves do point up as they emerge from the soil and then spread outward as they mature and new leaves form.

It is a pretty little plant. I learned a lot when I read LariAnn's article, but not enough to keep mine alive.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Alocasia infernalis

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Interesting that I repotted to dry it out and it immediately rained on it !! lol. Think I'll bring it indoors and keep in the fish room warm low light and VERY humid works for episcias anyway. Seems like a GREAT choice for a terrarium but have been trying to concentrate on landscape rather than specialized grow areas . Large terrarium needs a MAJOR overhaul and have lost interest lol Been busy putting out the winter annuals Thanks for all the info. Interesting latin name "out of hell" guess that's from cultural needs rather than looks?? lol gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

You can find a few more of Lari Ann's articles at the link below. They are on aroids - not the jewels but still interesting.

Also there is of course, the Aroidia Research website which is a great source of info.
    http://aroidiaresearch.org/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: aroid articles

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES