Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orlando_dave

Rattlesnake Pole Beans

Orlando-Dave
10 years ago

We have been picking them for a few weeks now.

My oldest daughter says, "daddy, I don't want to eat any more green beans!". Good thing the collards are coming in.

Here is my youngest who loves to help put them in the basket.

I purchased feed lot panels from tractor supply company and mounted them two high. I like it better than the netting I have used in the past because it is more rigid and will be easier to reuse.

Comments (9)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Orlando-Dave, that is a beautiful picture of your daughter! she is so cute! and will remember forever picking the beans. When mine was that age, she picked beans, carrot, peas, tomatoes for breakfast.:)

I am also having a great green bean harvest, made for a potluck more than 3 pounds of beans, rose radishes, meyer lemons and tomatoes from the garden.

Silvia

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Cute.

Dave, I'd encourage you to let some of those beans go dry, rattlesnake makes a very good dry bean for cooking, or at least let some go to shelly-bean stage.

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

I received a few Rattlesnake seeds in a swap this year, and planted them late. The first pods are just maturing now. Since there are probably only a few weeks 'til frost up here, I am letting them all mature and dry in hopes of having enough seeds to plant as a food crop next spring.

Hopefully then I can try Carol's oven-roasted beans idea. It sounds delicious!

• Orlando-Dave
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, she is 2, and those are her beans, thank you very much, so I will have to ask her permission to try some of your methods/recipes.

pnbrown, when you say go dry, do you let them fully mature on vine and then dry? I am not sure what the shelly-bean stage is.

Carol, thanks for the recipe! I have some in a pot steaming and only wished I read this earlier. Next on the list for sure.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Dave, yes dry fully on the vine. Before that point is shelly, when the beans are fully-formed but still soft and the pod is just beginning to shrink but still greenish, then you shell out the beans and they cook in a few minutes in boiling water.

• Orlando-Dave
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip. Last year I had quite a few that got left on the vine and dried. They won't go to waste this year!

• rene09
    10 years ago

I have been picking asparagus beans, doesn't take many to have a lot of them. They are about 20 to24 inches long & mature very quickly.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Orlando - Dave, Nice harvest, and of course, you have a lovely assistant. She looks like she is really enjoying herself. I also use the cattle panel for growing pole beans.

I have been picking beans for several weeks now too. But, since my cattle panels are filled with lima bean vines, I planted a big patch of bush beans. The harvest was plentiful for me too. Got lots in the freezer with many more to be eaten and given away.

Silvia - You green bean salad it picture perfect! So attractive.

Carol - Good idea with roasting green beans. I haven't done that in quite a while. It'll be good to cook them a different way.

Christine

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living